Skip to main content
Topic: My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics) (Read 34688 times) previous topic - next topic

My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics)

Reply #105
Thanks guys.  I got it running last night and I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.  I couldn't drive it today because it dumped snow on us today but maybe this weekend.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #106
Here is a video of the first start up with just the downpipe and then a video with the ler bolted on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRkOKJK66oA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjRFsmyhfc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #107
Your vids say they're private and require sign in. Don't recall having to do that before.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #108
Even after logging in, still says they're private :mullet:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #109
Hmm, my phone uploaded them as private for some reason.  Should work now.  Thanks for letting me know!

Edit: Oh yeah, sorry about the quality.  Cell phone + no light = py videos.

Reply #110
They worked foe me that time. Sound was good though, that to me is the important part.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #111
I drove it around a little today and I wasn't too happy with how it was running.  It was lacking torque, didn't want to rev, and kept wanting to die when I pressed the clutch.  My first thought was that I was a tooth off on the cam timing and I was mentally preparing myself to redo it.  I popped the hood to double check all my vacuum lines and intercooler collections were tight and I noticed I forgot to plug in the VAM!  I plugged that in and went for another drive and it was running great.  I have to take care of a leaking coolant line but then it should be good to go. 

Here is a day time video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3c5Ac6zhI

Reply #112
Lol I love when it's the simple little things

Reply #114
Upgrades sweet....

At least somebody is working on there cars...

Travis

Reply #115
I made a trip to the dyno on Sunday for a local board's dyno day event.  I should have done this right after getting the engine swap done so I could have a nice baseline but I didn't.  I've always felt the car has some upper RPM issues but now the dyno confirmed it.  It the car just stops pulling at around 4k and takes a really long time to rev up past that.  Under 4k it is great.  I always thought it was just the stock cam and .48 hot side limiting it but now with the different cam and .63 it is still there.  I will probably be swapping valve springs soon to see if it helps any.  The car still made 199hp/232tq so I'm not really that upset about it, not to mention it didn't break.  The dyno operator said something is clearly not right just by looking at how jagged the power line is on the graph and that there is a lot of power to be found just fixing the issue causing it.

Here is the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtEuOJi54LQ

Reply #116
I honestly love your car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #117
Lol, thanks man.  It's kinda junk but it's my junk.  I'm surprised how many people like it.  I get compliments on it fairly often and I always see people stopping and looking at it while I'm at work.  My son said that when I went to pull it into the dyno shop everyone was excited and asking him questions about it and were saying they had never seen a car like it before.

It's nice being unique.

Reply #118
What makes it unique is the fact that you made it into the car you want. people appreciate time and effort, and i doubt too many people understand what really went into this.car, even though its "junk"
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #119
Could it be ignition issues? I've seen all kinds of trouble with mine just from timing/spark issues. Moreso bad spark delivery than timing though. That graph looks pretty nasty.  Glad to hear it's still on the road, mine should be again this year, with EFI.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...