Skip to main content
Topic: Intake/Carb Help!! (Read 1756 times) previous topic - next topic

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #15
I will be honest.  I am an attorney by day, and I specialize in taxes.  Therefore, you know how busy I am this time of year.  So my internet time is pretty limited and I spend the majority of that time running sbftech.com.

I came here to learn about the T-Bird/Cougar relm of the fox chassis as I want to build one for a drag car.

But when I see people giving advice to others that is not founded in "tested" experience or is simply based on automotive myths that came out of the 50's... I have to cringe and step in.

The BEST example I can give as it relates to the OPs question and my advice to use the single plane intake he already owns is this.

Take a good long look at the GM LS series of engines - in particular the 5.3. 

The entire engine is an updated/upgraded small block FORD.

They knock down great mileage, have loads of power all over the place and are put in 2500 series trucks and SUVs.  I have not heard one of those guys crying about low end torque.  Now put that engine in a 3200# car instead!

How did GM do it?

Large MSCA and ASCA cylinder heads for the cubes.
Short runner intakes
Billet camshaft
Good compression (more than most internet jockeys will say you can run on pump gas)
Big (for factory) exhaust....

Its not a secret.  When you limit air flow you cripple efficiency.  If small intakes and small heads all actually MADE low end torque we would all be buying up scores of 255 Ford Heads, coveting the 83-85 4v intake manifolds and loving the stock exhaust logs.

The simple fact is this.

1. Its all about the combo.
2. Dual planes are good for one thing - covering up mistakes.  When you choke the engine, other parts are not as critical (usually in the cam area).

I will post more when I get some time...

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #16
OP's post stated that money and time were an issue. If he's going to change nothing else, a performer rpm or a stealth is going to increase power, period. I removed a torker intake from a 66 mustang and installed a performer rpm, changing nothing else. The car picked up low end torque and made power well past where the torker fell on it's face. My 76 Cougar. Big car, tiny 302. had a performer intake. Swapped for a weiand stealth, and had an increase in mid and upper end power. My first hand experience tells me that in a street car, not only do dual plane intakes work, but they work  well too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #17
Quote from: TBone;312505
OP's post stated that money and time were an issue. If he's going to change nothing else, a performer rpm or a stealth is going to increase power, period. I removed a torker intake from a 66 mustang and installed a performer rpm, changing nothing else. The car picked up low end torque and made power well past where the torker fell on it's face. My 76 Cougar. Big car, tiny 302. had a performer intake. Swapped for a weiand stealth, and had an increase in mid and upper end power. My first hand experience tells me that in a street car, not only do dual plane intakes work, but they work  well too.

1. If money is so tight why are you telling him to buy a dual plane?  Would he not be better off making other changes in the same $$ ballpark to actually benefit the car/combo...?  How about headers?  How about gears?  How about some free tuning time?  Maybe increasing the efficiency of the engine instead of choking down to cover up other weak areas?

2. I was not aware that a 66 Mustang had a Mustang H.O Roller cam installed?  Maybe - just maybe - different camshafts work differently in different combos?  Hmmm...

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #18
Nathan , your info is absolutely correct
 It is all about the combination of parts, and making the engine the most efficient it can be .
 BUT not everyone is out to accomplish the same ends you are .
 The OP said what he had and what he was told and wanted to know what we thought
 With his combo  and his complete lack of funds a (used) dual plane such as a performer , or stealth would accomplish exactly what he wants  . better throttle response and more power .for most likely if he shops right, less that 75$ 
 Gears and a converter and a shift kit and a cam change  or headers are going to cost a substantial amount more that that.

Now is his  the "best" combo out there? Probably not . Will it perform better in the seat of his pants? I think so.

But I'm not going to just forget all my experiences and knowledge, not to mention I think that the engineers and designers at places such as Edelbrock and Wieand are a hell of a lot smarter than me .
 A dual plane serves a purpose  and if "covering up a mistake "  is covering up the one size fits all design of a factory set up why is that "wrong" 
 I joined the other site that you are an admin on because I'm highly curious and I believe I can learn some things, but I refuse to forget things That i already know are true.
Again  I'm not trying to argue just disagree :D
 You clearly know your stuff .  But one size fits all never works
Fox-less at the moment

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #19
Quote from: hypostang;312525
Nathan , your info is absolutely correct
 It is all about the combination of parts, and making the engine the most efficient it can be .
 BUT not everyone is out to accomplish the same ends you are .
 The OP said what he had and what he was told and wanted to know what we thought
 With his combo  and his complete lack of funds a (used) dual plane such as a performer , or stealth would accomplish exactly what he wants  . better throttle response and more power .for most likely if he shops right, less that 75$ 
 Gears and a converter and a shift kit and a cam change  or headers are going to cost a substantial amount more that that.

Now is his  the "best" combo out there? Probably not . Will it perform better in the seat of his pants? I think so.

But I'm not going to just forget all my experiences and knowledge, not to mention I think that the engineers and designers at places such as Edelbrock and Wieand are a hell of a lot smarter than me .
 A dual plane serves a purpose  and if "covering up a mistake "  is covering up the one size fits all design of a factory set up why is that "wrong" 
 I joined the other site that you are an admin on because I'm highly curious and I believe I can learn some things, but I refuse to forget things That i already know are true.
Again  I'm not trying to argue just disagree :D
 You clearly know your stuff .  But one size fits all never works

You put my thoughts into words better than I could have.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intake/Carb Help!!

Reply #20
Alright guys thanks for the help. I don't want to keep arguments going but im planning on getting a dual plane intake. Ive asked on several forums and they have all suggested to get rid of the torker. Btw i already have bbk shorties on it. And am hoping to pick up some gears soon too. Thanks for all the help.