Skip to main content
Topic: Running Issues SOLVED!!! (Read 4054 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

to start off with, this is the new 87 TC.  the car starts and runs fine but dies like its running out of fuel after about 4 blocks of driving and wont restart, if I let the car sit the cycle repeats.  I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator and inspected the injectors.  not really sure where to go from here,  I know I am going to be asked to pull codes, the car came with a code reader but I havent had a chance to get it figured out to pull codes.  has anyone had a problem like this before?  also can a bad O2 or bap sensor cause a problem like this?  the FP never dies and keeps pressure so I am assuming that the problem is somewhere around the injectors or related parts. also, what tells the injectors to fire?

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #1
First, check codes, secondly, remove the TFI module and have it tested. I'd be willing to bet you have a bad one. While you're at it, go to the salvage yard and pull the remote TFI setup from the first Ford product you find with one. Your new TFI will appreciate it.
If the TFI checks out good, then I'd suspect the PIP inside the distributor.
Pulling the codes will take all the guess work out of it, so pull the codes first.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #2
I forgot to add that I also installed a new distributor and had the tfi tested and it checked out good.

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #3
did you have the tfi tested a few times to get it hot and it still passed?

i second on pulling codes.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #4
I always check the codes. Even when I don't think there's a problem, I'll still check the computer as regular maintenance  every couple months.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #5
they tested the tfi I few times, how many would you reccomend? I have another TFI that I could try on it that I know is good.

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #6
Just because you installed a new/remaned distributor doesn't mean the PIP is good. Seen it happen before.
Pull codes first. Until then, everything is just a guess.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #7
yes, but this distributor is doing the same thing the old one was doing. working on trying to pull codes...

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #8
well I am unable to pull codes with my code reader for some odd reason...  is there another way that I can do this?

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #9
here, look under the computer section on the left.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.php
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #11
all you need is a paper clip and either a test light, or the check engine light.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack;309692
all you need is a paper clip and either a test light, or the check engine light.

I use a cut piece of sheet metal the width if the connector slots to plug them together. It always stays in  my tool chest in a separate little box. I have to use my buttstuffog meter to see the pulses, as the check light doesn't flash codes in my cougars. (it did in my 88 E-250 though). I really should get a light to do this one day, and make it easier to count.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #13
I will see about getting an buttstuffog meter today, and try this.  am I going to be watching for the sweeps?  is that how I decipher the codes?

Running Issues SOLVED!!!

Reply #14
check the ineria switch, they will start to go bad and kill the FP and then cool down and the FP will work again....

I had this issue on a 85TC I had once,,,,,
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow