Skip to main content
Topic: More vibration issues..... (Read 12515 times) previous topic - next topic

More vibration issues.....

Reply #30
Quote from: 50tbrd88;307441
I have adjustable CHE upper control arms and have adjusted the pinion angle perfectly and still have the vibration (although it helped).  The way it sounds, I think we are having the same issue...

I also totally rebuilt the 8.8 after I swapped it in because of this vibration.  I installed a new carrier and all new bearings and still vibrates.  I am leaning towards 1.) driveshaft 2.) bent axle

What angle did you set it to? I have adjustable to.
I haven't had the time to find the sweet spot yet.
Right now it's set at -2 with the clamp on it. forgot to take it off when I did it. but it's better.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #31
How do you check the axles for straightness....meaning,what's the best way?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #32
It's highly, unliklely that you got 2 bent rears that have a bent axle! But if you want pull them , then check them with a long strait edge.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #33
Should of got a Kat,  It's a joke bubba.

Reply #34
Quote from: Kitz Kat;307457
Should of got a Kat,  It's a joke bubba.

Ha Ha Kitz.....I'd laugh more,but all of this vibration stuff really has me thinking deeply.It's really bugging me.I'd like to get the Sport over 55 mph without issues.Maybe the bushing in the tail shaft of the T-5 is bad.I don't know.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #35
You had it with the AOD to remember?' there is is one thing the same the DS. Need I say more? How you fix it is up to you, you could try the hose clamp thing to get you bye for now.

Reply #36
Have you had the stock shaft balanced yet? Was it a good balance?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #37
Quote from: Kitz Kat;307445
What angle did you set it to? I have adjustable to.
I haven't had the time to find the sweet spot yet.
Right now it's set at -2 with the clamp on it. forgot to take it off when I did it. but it's better.

If I remember I set somewhere between -2 and -3.  I have it written down out in the shop.  It took some trial and error to get it right.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #38
Something I have always wondered about is if the vibration is because of the fact that I have my stock driveshaft bolted to a different rearend.  I makes me wonder if I unbolted the yoke from the diff and rotated it around say 180 degrees then bolted it back up, if the vibration would change?  Vin have you tried this?  I assume if this is the problem a good driveline place could get it balanced.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #39
I haven't tried it,but I will.When I take my Crown Vic driveshaft up to Ok. City to have it done,it may make all the difference,but time is holding me back right now.

As far as the same driveshaft,the one I'm using now I've only had for a couple of months.Same issue.Although,the vibration is worse with the 3.73 rear than with the 3.55 rear.I'm baffled. 88Turbo is supposed to be sending me the front yoke with the vibration damper on it.Maybe that'll help a little with new u-joints and the clamp idea from Kitz until I can get the aluminum shaft done up for the Sport.I'll make some calls Monday morning.

Reply #40
refer to my theory in your other thread....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #41
I didn't swap them,but I did look them over REALLY closely and they looked great.I am staring to feel strongly about the drive shaft not liking the lower gears.

Reply #42
did you try what i had mentioned yet?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #43
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;307311
Jack the rear up, pull the driveshaft off, then run the car up to 60+mph. that'll rule out the DS, rearend, or tires.

I'm going to do that Monday morning when the sun comes up.It won't take but a few minutes to pull the driveshaft.I'll put the car on the jack stands,chock the wheels and run it.I'll let you know what happens.

By the way....good idea.

Reply #44
Alright,I just got off the phone with the drive shaft guys....$108.00 to shorten,balance the aluminum Crown Vic drive shaft,and install adapter u-joints for my car's yoke and such..Hello aluminum drive shaft.I'll try to get everything up there this week for them.While I'm there I'm going to try to hit a couple of new yards.