Skip to main content
Topic: Noob question (Read 2937 times) previous topic - next topic

Noob question

I might be able to get a hold of a t/c coupe for 400 without a motor and wanna take more than just the hook, I was thinking of taking the 8.8 out of it but how much work would that involve? And if that was too much how hard is it to convert my car to rear disc?

Re: Noob question

Reply #2
that sounds like a little too much work for me to do even wit my friends help, is there anyway to convert the rear to disc brakes w/o changing axles?

Reply #3
Even just converting to rear discs on your current axle requires all the hard parts of the rear end swap minus the rear end. You can potentially use a t-bird 8.8 rear end with drum brakes and it should bolt right up with out changing things like the master cylinder. But then again it defeats the purpose of wanting rear disc brakes. I'd really have to suggest pulling the entire tc rear axle assembly. If you're able to pick up the entire car like you mentioned, you'll have virtually every part you need. The exceptions being things like pads and new hoses which you should buy new anyway.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #4
unforuntately i'm not that handy wit working on things nor do i think my friend is, he can build motors but i dont think has much experience with rear ends at all.

Reply #5
yeah...swapping in the diff is the easy part.

wherebouts you from friend...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
Quote from: mike969mb
but i dont think has much experience with rear ends at all.

hehehe
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #7
Quote from: shame302
yeah...swapping in the diff is the easy part.

wherebouts you from friend...

from miami - unforunately tbirds are rear down hear, talk to friend and he thinks the rear shouldn't be a problem just saying the weight will be biggest thing if not a shop can do it for 300 or less he says that he knows of, so really thinking of swapping rears, the 3.55 from a tc manual will work a auto right?

Reply #8
Miami? it, the only one here I can't call a northerner. :p

Reply #9
the 3.55 from a tc manual will work a auto right?

Yup, it will, transmission shouldn't come into play or be an issue. Pretty much a bolt on situation. Not counting the plumbing for brakes.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #10
Quote from: Bird351
Miami? it, the only one here I can't call a northerner. :p

where in sw florida are you from?

Reply #11
unforuntately i'm not that handy wit working on things nor do i think my friend is, he can build motors but i dont think has much experience with rear ends at all.

If he ain't able to swap a rear, I wouldn't want him building my motors...

Its just a matter of swappin' parts...

Reply #12
yeah it bolts right in, direct swap. hardest part is probley getting the ebrake cables out of the drums after being rusted for 17years. and maybe if you have to rebuild the rear calipers... otherwise its simple. o and bring plenty of lube, theirs always time for lube

Reply #13
mmm lube...

400 bucks huh. man the rear end and the hood and front clip will bring more than that on ebay.
 good find, take the whole thing
or if it isn't rusty, put your motor into that!

edit: can't type :giggle:

Reply #14
where in sw florida are you from?

Port Charlotte.. 5 miles away from the path Charley took through here.

I'm used to thinking of everyone else as northerners on here, even the few that are in northern FL. :p