Skip to main content
Topic: you know your computer is a little too old when.. (Read 2666 times) previous topic - next topic

you know your computer is a little too old when..

Reply #15
ive never seen that message before as i never let anything go to the recycling bin, i just have it set deleted permenantly.
i knew my computer was too old when i tried to download a factory service manual and i had to remove a bit more than half the files on my computer to make space for it.
seriously :hick:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #16
I have that happen when clearing movies off the HD, but I don't know why it would transfer deleted files from your external to your RB. This is why Sync worries me.

Reply #17
Shift + Del = problem solved
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #18
I have that happen when clearing movies off the HD, but I don't know why it would transfer deleted files from your external to your RB.
These were internal drives but same difference really.

Shift + Del = problem solved
What's that supposed to do?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #20
does anyone have a whole list of hot keys?

Reply #21
first result on scroogle search

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic1841.html
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #22
It skips the Recycle bin.
Right, so how does that help....

~John~

Reply #23
Quote from: shame302;303289

I didn't suggest it. I answered your question as to what the suggested Hot keys did that was previously suggested by another user.

Skipping the Recycle bin, for that instance, would not result in the prompt that was discussed in this thread. In that way, I'm guessing it does help.

Reply #24
Quote from: shame302;303202
These were internal drives but same difference really.

Quote from: jcassity;302166
you try to delete a file and this happens:rollin:

I was deleting some music off my external tera drive and my old desktop here just informed my my trash can aint big enough.

That's what seems to be the strange occurrence here. He was deleting files from an external drive, yet they were being transferred to his recycle bin.

Reply #26
I answered your question as to what the suggested Hot keys did that was previously suggested by another user.

Skipping the Recycle bin, for that instance, would not result in the prompt that was discussed in this thread. In that way, I'm guessing it does help.
Right on. Kind if the opposite of what i was looking for but yeah...
That's because, generally, each partition has it's own sub-recycle bin (data) that gets used with the main recycle bin.
That's part of what i wasn't sure on, weather or not each drive has a certain amount of space allotted for "recycling bin" or if information got moved to the main drives RB.

Im all set anyway, Managed to get back what i could remember i had on there that had any significance..

~John~

Reply #27
Quote from: shame302;303289

Sorry, it wasn't aimed at you but the thread in general. On older and single-purpose/static virtual machines with small virtual disks at work I see this occasionally and cannot remove anything from the partitions. This hotkey is used often instead of wasting time with Windows trying to decide if it can move it to the recycle bin or not.

You can never have enough space - I've only got 10GB free out of my 3 partitions on one of my 1.5TB drives, 770GB on the other mirrored array. New or old, all computers alike can have these space issues, especially when recording high definition tv or editing high definition camcorder recordings.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #28
Quote from: shame302;303513
Right on. Kind if the opposite of what i was looking for but yeah...

That's part of what i wasn't sure on, weather or not each drive has a certain amount of space allotted for "recycling bin" or if information got moved to the main drives RB.

Im all set anyway, Managed to get back what i could remember i had on there that had any significance..

Each drive can be set independently of each other. HOWEVER, that will produce different results when deleting files, based on the size of the Bin on each drive. You can even disable the Bin on drives you know you are just gonna toss things off of, and never want to see again.

I have a 1.3 TB disk which I partitioned in 100GB partitions. Yes, folks, that's like having ten 100GB hard disks. Here's where some custom tuning can pay off on drive speed.

If you want to make your system a little faster, then move your paging file (pagefile.sys) to a different partition from the one the OS is installed on. It seems contradictory that it would be faster, but here's the rub. With it on a different drive, there's less fragmentation of the page file, AND less fragmentation of other files that get written to on a frequent basis (because of swapping out freed clusters). All of this is due to the same old file handling system designed for DOS in 1984. Directory handling has improved, but overall file handling techniques haven't changed a bit.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Reply #29
Or if it's on the same drive, just set it to a fixed size to begin with and there will be no fragmentation...

I always recommend making at least a single small partition at the front of a drive for the short stroking benefits (improved access times when not writing to the rest of the drive at the same time you need access to the first partition or partitions).
1988 Thunderbird Sport