Skip to main content
Topic: Snow tires / cost 14" vs 15" (Read 2102 times) previous topic - next topic

Snow tires / cost 14" vs 15"

I am going to buy a set of studded snows for my 83 cougar on the rear, and non-studded snows on the front. I am going to buy a set of 4 lug rims at the junk yard to run them on.

My question is, does anybody know which would be better to get, a set of rims in a 14" or find something in a 15"? I am wondering mostly if the tire cost would be much different. I don't really care what it looks like (the car is still tree-wrecked and half primered...).

Any ideas? I need to make this old 83 a winter monster (well, as much as it can be, heh)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #1
14-inch will be cheaper and better for snows. I had a set of blizzaks on some 15-inch turbines, a couple of bags of sand in the trunk and that thing was awesome. Even in 6-inches of slush covered roads. That car was on the verge of leaving me stranded mechanically, and I refused to drive anything else!

As a general rule of thumb for snows, the smaller the wheel/narrower the tire/taller the tire the better. That said, 15s are probably more plentiful in the yards. I'd go with what you can find the cheapest/easiest. And a matching set of snows on all four corners. Don't mix and match.

I have stud-able snows on my WRX and soon to be on my wife's Vue but only because they were cheapest tire I could find. I don't plan on putting studs in them... and I think they are illegal to stud in MI anyway unless there is an emergency. Can you run studs in Ohio?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
You can run studded here november 1st to april 15th.

14" tires are hard to find and more expensive every place I got a qoute. I saved about $15 a tire by going with 15".

I have never ran winter tires before and been okay overall. I'll bet if I wasn't using treadless tires I never would have gotten stuck to begin with. This year I am going to be doing alot of winter driving with many grades 6-12%+ on roads that probably will not be plowed. So we will see how it goes. Might upgrade the 7.5 to limited slip if its much of an issue.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Look up Firestone winterforce on tirerack. They're. About the best bang for Buck snows.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #4
Not sure where you are in Ohio but I have a few sets of 14" rims you can have if you want them.

Reply #5
i would go studded all the way around because you want to stop more than going forward most times.

just look up 205/65/15 for some snow tires, there  most common size, than the 14" any more. if they even carry 14" tires any more. our shop has very little for 14 tires any more!
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #6
I have these for sale.I dont think the rims will fit your car,but it sounds like you are getting new rims anyhow.

Make offer

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17243&highlight=studded+snow+tires
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #7
Quote from: bhazard;300902
Look up Firestone winterforce on tirerack. They're. About the best bang for Buck snows.

Winterforce all the way!  Good price, and great snow traction.  (of course studded is illegal in my state)

BTW, bhazard, I had one of those ES turbo Shadows, too.  Kinda wish I had that still.
1987 TC

Reply #8
My honest opinion, a majority of people that use studded snow tires are the same people that drive too fast. I've driven places in these cars that people with 4 and front wheel drive get stuck. In a pinch, its more the way you drive and how much snow you have dealt with, then how good your tires are. I wouldn't be driving around with slicks or anything like that, but all seasons will do for 90% of the driving I have ever done.

If your driving off road and lots of gravel, its a different story.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack;300990
My honest opinion, a majority of people that use studded snow tires are the same people that drive too fast. I've driven places in these cars that people with 4 and front wheel drive get stuck. In a pinch, its more the way you drive and how much snow you have dealt with, then how good your tires are. I wouldn't be driving around with slicks or anything like that, but all seasons will do for 90% of the driving I have ever done.

If your driving off road and lots of gravel, its a different story.

where i live! the road's turn to ice and studded snow are the only tires that will dig into ice. you life might be worth only all season tires but mine is not. like i said before! i use mine to stop! i see to many stupid people on all season tires slid through a intersection at less than 5 mph. i don't with my studded snow tires.

Reply #10
You could say the same thing about people that drive rear wheel drive cars in winter.

I have only been driving for 6 years, but I have never been in any accident in any weather condition. I could agree where you live in montana, I would bet all the snow turns to ice, and where there is next to no major roads, plows are probably few and far between.

Ont night about 2 years ago I was sitting stopped at a light and was watching traffic catch up to me just after an off ramp. I was sitting on level ground on ice. Some guy spun out in his 4X4 bronco trying to stop and would have plowed me if I wouldn't have seen him coming and shot through the red light I was waiting at. He had studded snow tires, and I had two bald tires. I had no problems stopping before the light. If I can't drive 5 mph, then I probably shouldn't be driving, period. I didn't end up going through anyones front yard.

Virtually any accident is avoidable as long as both parties are pay good attention and driving for the weather conditions. Its kind of fun to count all the 4 wheel drives on the side of the road after the first real snow fall.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
ive never had snow tires on any car and get by just fine. my sister in upstate NY doesnt have them on the tbird either and it snows alot up there. not so much down here but it still does and when it does everyone else on the road is a missle aiming for my car.
it doesnt matter how many wheels your driving or where they drive from everything tends to stop the same in lousy weather, terribly.
oddly, my old vert mustang drove in the snow very well for something that low on the ground. even in 8 inches no problem at all with just plain old 14 in all weather tires. no cement bags or anything.
actually been wanting to try a set of winter/studded tires just to see what kind of difference it would make but since im cheap its likely to never happen :P
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack;301005
plowed me if I wouldn't have seen him coming and shot through the red light I was waiting at. He had studded snow tires, and I had two bald tires..

hello? snow tires and bald tires don't work!  it don't take a half brain to see that? but  to try and say he was sliding because has had studded snow tires :screwy:. i bet the 2 bald tires where on front and two studded tires where on the rear.
 if he would have 4 studded and no bald tires. i'm sure he would NOT have been slidding, don't you think!!!!!!!

Reply #13
I had bald tires, he had studded.

Drove alot in about 3" of snow yesterday. The tires are better and worse then I thought they would be. Alot better at stopping then I though, slightly worse at starting out and some turns un settle it easy, but it is still easily controllable.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
I just want to say, if you have money for snow tires buy them. If you need snow tires, buy them. I think it is on more of a case to case senario then you have to or don't. If I had money for snow tires, I would have some. The tires on my car right now were bought by a friend that I am slowly paying back. If I had an extra set of rims, I would probably get some snow tires after I got done paying him back.

To answer the OP's question, almost every tire suited to fit our cars is cheaper in a 15" rim. Especially snow tires.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.