Skip to main content
Topic: SO rebuild or HO swap? (another painfully long post) (Read 3228 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SO rebuild or HO swap? (another painfully long post)

Reply #15
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I must now put this talk on hold. I DID get the LSC, which will be chewing up most or all of the money I would've had available for the rebuild. I will now have to settle for figuring out what's keeping the '88 from running when cold and bogging when you stab the pedal when warm, (as seen in my thread in Engine Tech) and just let it ride for now. Thanks for all the feedback.. and if you can think of anything else, please feel free to share it.. might be useful for anyone who is in a similar situation of needing a rebuild or swap and being on a very restrictive budget.. and I will eventually gather the money to do it. It just got moved one notch down the priority list due to the LSC.

Reply #16
Quote from: Bird351
It's not a "SO kit". It's a Sealed Power/Fel-Pro kit for 1982-95 5.0s. From what I understand about Sealed Power pistons for 302s, (vs. their pistons for 347 strokers) they all have four valve reliefs in them. It's $269.95 if I want hypereutectics and about a 9:1 CR, and it's $429.95 if I want forged and about a 10:1 CR.

Whats the difference/benefit of having forged over hypereutectics? and of course higher cr means more power, correct?

Reply #17
I'm going to let one of the more experienced types around here answer that in detail.

Reply #18
Another question just exactly how hard and how long would it take to rebuild the bottom? and top separately? Trying to be more economically this time around wit me bird and save on alot of the cost, last time around most of my money went to general repairs i could have done, etc.

Reply #19
Whats the difference/benefit of having forged over hypereutectics? and of course higher cr means more power, correct?

the hypereutectic pistons fail under forced induction/boost. other than that i doubt theres too much of a differance other than they may fail easier inder high rpm use or detonation. forged basically means the pistons material is actually dansor and therefore more durable.

more compression generally means more power but with that comes a "harder" running engine. deffinetly a too much of a good thing can be a bad thing type of deal. EXAMPLE compression id good but overcompression/high compression and boost = kaboom...of course, there are a ton of dynamics and aspects of engine building that i barely understand myself. thats why head, pistons, crank/stroke, cam choice must be chosen to work well together and thoroughly researched.

as far as building a bottom end that depends on experiance. also depends on what kind of supprises you happen upon disassembly of the long block. check the engine out, or have someone check it out for you. at least do a compression test. inspect for leaks that need to be fixed. basically if all the cylinders are good and the motor runs good there may be plenty of life left in the short block. the 5.0 is pretty tough. if your pulling it out of the car anyway, maybe a teardown would be just the thing if you have the time. i wouldnt get into that if you dont have to. the stock bottom end is good for quite abit of HP....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~