Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking about picking up an '82 and did (now with pics) (Read 6154 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking about picking up an '82 and did (now with pics)

Reply #45
Wow, page 5?  Didn't know the box birds had this kind of following.  Here are a few shots of the interior.  The carpet is in pretty bad shape, but overall the upholstery is in great condition.  There are a few cracks hidden away on the aging plastic trim, but you'd really have to look to find them.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #46
The rocker panels are very clean and the doors have very little rust along the seams.  I am amazed at the preservation, especially in the rust belt.

Reply #47
Need carpet? Here's some for a good price. I've heard positive things about this company from a restorer who deals with them first hand. I'm going with black for the floor.

http://www.auto-interior.com/ford17.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #48
here's a pic from mine today, its rainy out so i havent had a chance to clean it up yet. when it gets nicer out i will take better pics, i think i am going to detail the interior tomorrow, the drivers side of the seat vinyl is torn up and remarkably the dash isint cracked!! but other than that its in great shape

Reply #49
Quote from: Black88LS;299595
here's a pic from mine today, its rainy out so i havent had a chance to clean it up yet. when it gets nicer out i will take better pics, i think i am going to detail the interior tomorrow, the drivers side of the seat vinyl is torn up and remarkably the dash isint cracked!! but other than that its in great shape

Would it be possible to take a few shots of the roof and rear pillar? The only box bird I've ever seen without the vinyl was a stock car. That looks awesome.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #50
Quote from: TBone;299594
Need carpet? Here's some for a good price. I've heard positive things about this company from a restorer who deals with them first hand. I'm going with black for the floor.

http://www.auto-interior.com/ford17.htm

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I didn't know I could even get molded carpet.  Not bad on pricing, either.

Reply #51
Quote from: TBone;299627
Would it be possible to take a few shots of the roof and rear pillar? The only box bird I've ever seen without the vinyl was a stock car. That looks awesome.

Oh yeah you could get a base model and not have the vinyl roof. As trends were then it was the thing to have the vinyl.

Reply #52
Quote from: amooset;299590
Wow, page 5?  Didn't know the box birds had this kind of following.  Here are a few shots of the interior.  The carpet is in pretty bad shape, but overall the upholstery is in great condition.  There are a few cracks hidden away on the aging plastic trim, but you'd really have to look to find them.

Looks like you have something good to work with! It won't take too much to get it in top shape!

Reply #53
Quote from: Black88LS;299595

That would make a great companion to my 1984 Aero Bird! I like the extremes represented. I would not mind having a Box Bird someday!

Reply #54
Quote from: bike70ride;299076
Here's my '80:

Great looking car!

Reply #55
Quote from: 84TBirdTurbo42;299186
, i didnt notice how close the dashboards are from a 80-82 to my 84 turbo coupe. i love it

The 1983 dashboards were made over 1980-82 dashes. A new top pad, vinyl knee pads and revised trim across the face and center stack were applied to the original 1980 dash base. However, the mold of the dash base itself was revised to accommodate a new vinyl knee pad and glovebox door.

The 1980-82 dash was carried over virtually intact for the 1983-86 Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis.

Reply #56
took a few new pics of the Tbird today

Reply #57
Quote from: Black88LS;299857
took a few new pics of the Tbird today

I love it! Natural years of wear and all!

Today I went to Pull-A-Part and discovered they added a mustardy gold 1980 Tbird Town Landau which was loaded to the hilt including a sunroof. I felt so sorry for it because it was pretty much all in one piece.

Reply #58
Quote from: Watchdevil;299661
Great looking car!

Thanks!  I considered removing the vinyl top, but opted to just dye it since it was in nice shape, and I didn't know what mess I'd be dealing with underneath (trim rivits/holes, etc.)
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Reply #59
Quote from: bike70ride;299897
Thanks!  I considered removing the vinyl top, but opted to just dye it since it was in nice shape, and I didn't know what mess I'd be dealing with underneath (trim rivits/holes, etc.)

Nothing wrong with keeping the original vinyl top. It is at least clean looking. At least you were not stuck with that heavy Town Landau style.  Heavily padded 1970-80's vinyl roofs always did make me vomit. However, I did like the thinly padded 1977-79 Thunderbird's split vinyl roof treatment with the basket handle roof bisecting it... Ditto for the 1978-83 Futura Coupe. I also didn't mind some of the early 70's Fords that had the front 3/4 vinyl roof. But ultimately for me, the plain steel roof cars look the best, but I would not turn down a good vinyl roofed Boxbird.