Skip to main content
Topic: Low oil level sensor replacement (Read 9958 times) previous topic - next topic

Low oil level sensor replacement

So I found my little leak. The Low oil level sensor leaks from the area where it plugs into the harness. It leaks enough that if I let the car sit for a week a get a puddle about 3" in diameter (but I only loose maybe about 1/2 a quart over the 6 months I drive the car). So I'm going to replace it when I do an oil change. My question is how the hell do you unplug the wires from it? I've looked at it and can't figure out how it's done:mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
The oil pressure sensor, or the low lever sensor? The oil pressure sending unit has a wire that screws on, then there is a peice that unclips so you can then spin off the short wire so you can take the sender off. I thought the low oil level sensor was in the pan?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I thought the low oil level sensor was in the pan?

It is.  It's too cold & wet for me to look at it on mine right now.  I'll take a look when it dries up a bit outside.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
Quote from: thunderjet302;295059
The Low oil level sensor leaks

Quote from: Haystack;295087
The oil pressure sensor, or the low lever sensor? The oil pressure sending unit has a wire that screws on, then there is a peice that unclips so you can then spin off the short wire so you can take the sender off. I thought the low oil level sensor was in the pan?

Low oil level sensor. See above;)

Quote from: V8Demon;295089
It is.  It's too cold & wet for me to look at it on mine right now.  I'll take a look when it dries up a bit outside.

It would be great if you could. I'm not going to do it till the spring I just want to know how it's on there. I just unscrewed the whole thing with out disconecting it when I did the engine swap because I couldn't figure out how to get the wires off then either. They look like they just slip on but they don't want to pull out....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
I had the same problem when I rebuilt my engine.  Both my old and rebuild had leaky level senders. 

People say you can buy a plug that fits it, but I couldn't locate one.  So I built my own plug.

I took it out and disassembled it.  It has a couple of c clips and then the guts come out. 
Then I removed the interior piece with a pair of vice grips. 
I then cleaned it really good with brake clean and a small brush.
I taped a plastic bag blocking off the inside portion of the bolt.  Then I filled it with JBWeld.

After it was dry I re-installed the sealing ring and torqued it back into the oilpan.  So far, its working great.  I just removed the wire from the harness so it wont contact ground and indicate low oil.

Reply #5
Quote from: thunderjet302;295092

It would be great if you could. I'm not going to do it till the spring I just want to know how it's on there. I just unscrewed the whole thing with out disconecting it when I did the engine swap because I couldn't figure out how to get the wires off then either. They look like they just slip on but they don't want to pull out....

It would appear as if the wire connector unthreads.  Due to my car's newly lowered ride height I can swing my camera underneath, but can't reach without ramps or a jack.  If you need a better pic lemme know.

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
See my Later posts!  Don't pull it out!  Sorry for the bad advice!

Reply #7
I'd like to see that picture myself.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: danzajax;295474
The wire just pulls out. 

Like the oil pressure sensor?  When I had the motor out, one of the people who helped me did most of the electrical stuff so I honestly don't know and I've never had to mess with that darn wire.

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;295461
It would appear as if the wire connector unthreads.  Due to my car's newly lowered ride height I can swing my camera underneath, but can't reach without ramps or a jack.  If you need a better pic lemme know.

Quote from: danzajax;295474
The wire just pulls out.  Its a barrel type connector.  Give it a tug, should come right out.  I might be able to get you a picture later tonight.

Well it looks like I just have to pull harder to get it out. I'm hoping a brand new sensor and gasket will fix it. I should have done this when the engine was rebuilt 2 years ago instead of re-using the old sensor :dunce:

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;295521
Well it looks like I just have to pull harder to get it out.

Please,there could be kids reading this forum.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
Quote from: vinnietbird;295533
Please,there could be kids reading this forum.

Twas the least dirty way I could think of to say it :hick:

Reply #12
On closer inspection, I take back my previous statement about yanking it out.  It appears that it is held in place as some kind of contact.  Mine just popped out easily.

When I gutted mine I recall a couple of circlips holding things in.  Perhaps this is what keeps it in there.

Pic 1 is of the greasy old engine I pulled from the car.
Pic 2 is of the contact (that i folded back over and tucked into itself and tucked into the frame).
X
X

-Dan

Reply #13
Since I was wrong and gave bad advice.  Here is the correct way to dissassemble your leaky-a$$ level sender.

1. Clean it.  Break Clean works awesome.
X

2. Push the rectangular clip up with a flatblade screwdriver and grab it with pliers/another screwdriver.
X

3. Remove the Clip.  It looks like this:
X

Reply #14
(cont.)

4. Remove barrel plug.  Done!
X

Plug looks like this:
X

Socket like this: (you can see this one has been leaking too.  I will try to get a picture of my installed potted one.
X

Now remove it from the pan.  Disassemble it completely, clean with break clean.  And fill it with JB-Weld so it will never leak again.