Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo coupe axle and front brakes into a Sport (Read 1948 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo coupe axle and front brakes into a Sport

I have a 88 TC that I am taking the front brakes and rear axle from. This will go into my 88 thunderbird sport. I was looking at the Cool Cats site and it told me that I need an adapter for the front brake lines to brake caliper hose (3/8 - 1/4) and that I also need to do the same for the rear diff flex hose to hard line? I heard it was a bolt in and bleed the brakes. Do I need the 3/8-1/4 adaptor for the swap?

Thanks
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
Must have adapters.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
ok.I read it again. Now if I use my stock 7.5" flex block then I need to use two new lines and adapters. But if I use the turbocoupe flex hose block, then I just need an adapter at the hard line off the frame? so I need  2x  1/4" - 3/16" brake line adapters and what do I need for the rear flex to frame adapter? Is there a thread pitch I need to worry about or are they standard thread?

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=12780&highlight=brake+line+adapters

Now is the proprotioning valve from the turbo coupe the same thread and size as the Sport? I am guessing no so what do I use for a proportioning valve?
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #3
You should use an adjustable one to do it properly. I used the stock Turbo Coupe prop valve.Somewhere on my PC I've got a photo of the front line adapter you need, including the Canadian Tire part number. When I'm on my PC I'll try to find it...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I'm confused here about the talk about needing an adapter for the rear. I needed the adapters for both front cables (hard lines to Mustang stainless steel) but the TC rearend just bolted in, hoses and all.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
I know Seek. Thats what you told me. But the Cool Cats site talked about adapters. Now did you put a turbocoupe axle into a turbocoupe or a sport thunderbird?

Reply #6
The TC 8.8 3.55 rear came out of a Manual TC and went into my 88 5.0 Sport.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #7
So there we go. Did you use the flex hose block from your sport or the turbocoupe?

Reply #8
When I installed my TC rear into my 88 T-Bird (non Sport) I just used the existing flex line. The one already on the car and the one that was on the TC axle were identical, I believe. If Coolcats makes refernce to changing flex lines it might mean the flex lines at the calipers (drum brake cars don't have flex lines at the wheels, but dsc brake cars do).

The front adapter photo I'd promised (the part number in the top right is the Canadian Tire stock number):
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Adapters may be necessary depending upon the model year of your car. TC's had the main brake lines from the front to the back running down the driver's side; virtually everyone else has their hardlines on the passenger side. Your stock center flex hose can be reused but, due to the different sized brake lines on the TC rear end itself, an adapter MAY be needed to hook the lines up to your existing flex line. That's all that was meant by using an adapter. Believe me, the situation becomes very apparent once you're actually doing the swap. ;)

Reply #10
Yes, I could see why an adapter may be needed but that wasn't so in my case. I also noticed at parts stores, when looking for a replacement flex hose, that others that are close to fitting (it may have been from a Ranger?) had a smaller diameter hose and compression fitting than the one I took off the Sport and brought with me.

Are there any possible rear brake line differences between the 9" and 10" rear drums? Mine had 10, as I'm sure most do who have the Sport.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #11
Yeah, that could have been what the deal was. My TC rear swapping experience has been with the earlier aero cars (1983-86), where things were a lot more straightforward as far as equipment and common parts. Once you get into the 1987-88s there are a lot more differences with the mechanical hardware and whatnot. I wrote the article from the perspective of the earlier cars because they're more of a "worst case" scenario. The TC rear end swap into a 1987-88, as you found out, can be a lot easier. It just depends.

Reply #12
So in fact that maybe the 88 sport and 88 turbo coupe may have the same parts and size to make the swap an easy one? Only one way to find out.

Thanks thunder chicken for the adapters. Nice to be able to go to py tire and get the parts.

Reply #13
You WILL without a doubt need those adapters for the front, I did the swap myself (TC/Stang 5.0 11" brakes onto '88 Sport)
I used new 5.0 Mustang hoses, and they came with 2 adapters that were the wrong size. When I went to put them on my Sport I had to go get the correct adapters, but that wasn't due to the car, just wrong parts from the start.

BTW, use a really good penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or the like...or you'll twist the fittings off. I used that, and I also put vice-grips on the fittings (but not godawful tight or you'll mash the lines, fittings, and all else) and off the came. Took longer to take it apart than it did to reinstall.

I wish I'd taken more, as well as more detailed pics of it all when I did.

Anyway, we're here if you need help on it :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #14
Well I just finished stripping the 88 TC yesterday and have just cut all the lines before the brake hoses.I need to replace the front brake hoses on the calipers because they are cracked. The rear looked good to me. Now I will soak them in Rusterminator and try to get them appart.

I also took the TC proportioning valve off too. So i hope I can adapt that to the car. I just may need pics to see what goes where and hope it works all together.