Skip to main content
Topic: Taurus electric fan (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

Taurus electric fan

OK, another dumb question.... But I have seen more than a few members signature lines state that they have a Taurus electric fan. What year works for a 1987 5.0 sport, how and where do I mount the temp sensor? My Wife and I go to the salvage yard a few times a month, so just tell me what to look for and where the sensor mounts ... and we are in business.

Thanks

Taurus electric fan

Reply #1
Mine runs all the time.I got it from a 3.8 Taurus.A 3.0 will work as well.Or a Mercury sable,or a Lincoln Mark VIII.I like the Taurus fan because they are friggin' everywhere at the yards,and if I have a motor go bad on the road,I can easily replace it at any salvage yard for cheap.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Taurus electric fan

Reply #2
Thanks for the info, I may pick one up tomorrow.

Taurus electric fan

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;290022
Mine runs all the time.I got it from a 3.8 Taurus.A 3.0 will work as well.Or a Mercury sable,or a Lincoln Mark VIII.I like the Taurus fan because they are friggin' everywhere at the yards,and if I have a motor go bad on the road,I can easily replace it at any salvage yard for cheap.

Of course I would assume there is less drag on the engine not having to work as hard to turn the regular fan.

Taurus electric fan

Reply #4
actually watchdevil, there was a thread in here a while back (recently) about that topic.  the numbers were not so great going to eFan.

I was actually surprised by the info myself.  someone else may know exactly where the thread is,,, a must read.

Taurus electric fan

Reply #5
Yeah..I installed a fan out of a late model mustang, just because that's what was at hand, and even with the 95A 3G it still loads it down pretty good when it comes on... It's a 50A Momentary, and a 20A constant draw at idle.

-Now I know why the mustangs have 130A Alternators..:(

I did do some adjusting though to the Thermostat(160*) and the Fan's rheostat, so now it doesn't come on quite so often.

As a side note, when it comes on, it doesn't seem very quiet to me, but, it doesn't run very often either.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Taurus electric fan

Reply #6
I also have the 3G upgrade.You need it for a Taurus fan.There may not be a huge power gain,probably small,but,the Sport stays WAY cooler than with the stock clutch fan,even with the Turbo Coupe header panel,sitting at idle.It got to 117 degrees in July,and the car stayed cool like early spring.GOOOOOOOD fan !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Taurus electric fan

Reply #7
With the slow ramp, variable power controllers, I bet it doesnt shock the alternator as much.  I would like to see that thread about the power comparison also.

Eliminating that mech fan roar, alone.... that is worth it for me. 

Ive got a Taurus fan and will get a DCC controller to go with it.  Ive used them both in the past, and work very well.
Mike

Taurus electric fan

Reply #8
Quote from: mcb82gt;293802
With the slow ramp, variable power controllers, I bet it doesnt shock the alternator as much.  I would like to see that thread about the power comparison also.

Eliminating that mech fan roar, alone.... that is worth it for me. 

Ive got a Taurus fan and will get a DCC controller to go with it.  Ive used them both in the past, and work very well.

finally found it

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=24589&highlight=electric+fan