Skip to main content
Topic: garden problems (Read 1201 times) previous topic - next topic

garden problems

anyone else having an odd growing year for the garden?

Tomato's turning almost ripe start to rot on the bottom.  plants look like hell pissed on them but were nice and green not too long ago.

Peper plants are not producing right, plants are growing up real tall which is not normal and hardly any green pepers

Zucinni was doing great then sudently a big ass brown haze came over the leaves

brocolli went to hell

carrots are good

potatoes are the best you could ask for

onions,,,,,,,,what onions:mad:

Green beans,, they did ok

Not sure what everyone else is experiencing but from what i gather ,, this whole tomoto blight thing is happening everywhere.

garden problems

Reply #1
Scott, Tomato's is all Paula put out (Better Boy) but for some reason they never grew bigger this year....a few big ones but mainly "Cherry" sized. :dunno: :poke:

garden problems

Reply #2
Been a bad year here too, not so much for vegetables (though my pumpkins are way undersized), but for my flower gardens. I've only got one sunflower so far and it's only 2' tall and about 3" wide. The apple trees are loaded though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

garden problems

Reply #3
Apparently a lot of the tomato seed was from China, and it's got some kind of imperfection that kills the plant. A few different people have told me this. Pretty sad when we have to import basic seed from China. U.S. tomato seed FTW!!!one!

My apple and pear trees didn't do so well this year. No buds on the pear tree (which is fine because I don't really like them), and the apple tree...it started off doing fine but I'll be ed if I know where all the apples went. None on the ground, none on the tree, too high for the deer to get them, but they're all gone. Maybe it was the Divine Fruit Rapture™ or something.

However, my balls are doing great.

garden problems

Reply #4
are you kindin me we import seeds from china #1 then how did they screw that up should i enen ask.

garden problems

Reply #5
We really import(ed) tomato seeds from China?

blahhh, i wont post what's REALLY on my mind. might get banned.
first sentence I thought of had 5 "f" words in it...

chinese tomaters...wow.
we have officially hit motherf*ckin rock bottom.
:flame::punchballs:
that is all.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

garden problems

Reply #6
Is this really true?  Seems pretty sad.
Mike

garden problems

Reply #8
i didnt want to post any of the information I was told either eric about seeds and such.

One fella went as far as to basically give us the past 10 year rundown on seeds and where they come from.  He said that this year however, there were only two companies that acually supply seed to our market but where they get their seeds from has been oursourced.

I told the wife the tomato problem is likely due to the genetic defects involved with reproducing the same plant and its been exhausted.

he made a prediction though which was kinda chilling to me. He said that its still not too late to seek out non hybird seeds but before long, those who can  not grow food will suffer as this is going to become a huge problem soon.

I look for food prices to skyrocket based on what people are seeing in thier own gardens now. 

I dont hear / see any of this on the news yet but it should become news worthy as typical with most news as it becomes too late to do much about it.

Eric
wife says your balls are prudy:mad:
where did you get them?

garden problems

Reply #9
wish more people would chim in on this,, seeing where everyone is from tells me the problem is as wide spread as i thought.

garden problems

Reply #10
Tell the wife I said 'thanks', Scott. ;)
The snowball tree came with the house, actually. It was severely overgrown and not particularly healthy, but the root structure seemed fine. All I did (and still do) was give it a haircut in March/April, cutting off the dried flowers from the previous year, and give it a general shape, which turns out looking a lot like a mohawk. It looks dead until May, then seems to green up overnight. It continues to fill out all summer until one day the snowball flowers begin appearing at the tips of the branches. Pretty amazing, actually, considering the 30 minutes of attention that I give it yearly LOL. It's a very low maintenance tree and continues to dazzle every year. I understand there's some kind of coloring that can be added to the base of the tree, which makes the snowball flowers colored. One of these years I'm gonna try it.

I don't understand the whole seed thing either, as you would think the FDA or some other agency would regulate this more closely. Infestation of food crops is a serious problem with global repercussions. All it takes is one bad batch. We could be close to an ecological AND economic disaster if this isn't resolved.

garden problems

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats;288675
We could be close to an ecological AND economic disaster if this isn't resolved.

As a farmer, I can say this: if something was to happen on a very large scale with corn, or beans, or wheat (insert crop here)
we'd fall very far very fast.

There's countless herbicides, pesticides and fungicides for crop protection...but garden stuff is a little more fly-by-night in that most people scratch a row, drop seeds in it, and cover it up. I imagine commercial produce farming is a little more stringent, but yes, prices will go higher than hell all the same.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

garden problems

Reply #12
my dad told me a long time ago to hit up those old hardware stores and such to find old bags and packs of seed for growing stuff, he is not or ever has been a farmer to my knowledge so im not sure what lead him to say that.
back then i though he was a little paranoid but im starting to feel like he had a point since i see all the yuppies around here doing just that.
i walk by this little farm thing they have going on near my house and the veggies dont look like they are doing too well either.
wish i could grow a garden of something, probly grow some tomacco while i was at it. if i find an old bag/pack of seeds i probly will.

as for the comment about importing seeds from china, that sucked the patriotisim right out of me and made me want to throw up.
we are in bad shape man.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

garden problems

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;288543
anyone else having an odd growing year for the garden?

Tomato's turning almost ripe start to rot on the bottom.  plants look like hell pissed on them but were nice and green not too long ago.

Peper plants are not producing right, plants are growing up real tall which is not normal and hardly any green pepers

Zucinni was doing great then sudently a big ass brown haze came over the leaves

brocolli went to hell

carrots are good

potatoes are the best you could ask for

onions,,,,,,,,what onions:mad:

Green beans,, they did ok

Not sure what everyone else is experiencing but from what i gather ,, this whole tomoto blight thing is happening everywhere.

Were you in my backyard when you were up here in the Akron area, because you just described our garden to a t.

I thought it was just this area at first but I guess not. China tomatoes, sheesh.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

garden problems

Reply #14
Yep
I was all over akron / canton / youngstown from aug 14-23.  Hit a couple water parks and Cedar point.

Folks
I hate to say it,, but i cant believe most of you didnt see this.

The fda regulate what?  They cant.
Even the "country of origin" stickers you see as of late on foods is all hosed up.

anyway, the seed guy i talked to earlier this year said that good seed is going to be worth more than gold if we keep on the same path we are on.  I heard this a few years ago but did not prepare.

im worried, hope its just a random blight.  what is distrubing is the people I interact with daily for work.  On a national level, there is consitent feedback about gardens failing. 
on a global scale (central america, canada and germany, its odd to hear similair reports.

as for "scratching rows and dropping seed",,
hell, thats what we did to survive when i was a kid in the 70's and up to 86 when i went in the navy.  our family depended on the garden with just 420 bux per payday coming in.

scratch row as you may and grow your own food but if you dont have a good seed line, your kinda hosed and depending on the reds.

I am not so easily fooled, if I think its possible and someone could save a dime to cut corners, then they will.

i am kinda tired of being me actually (paranoid and such) because it drains any hope and causes me to always be looking for alternatives.  Got little time to do what i have on my plate now without inventing more work.