Skip to main content
Topic: My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0 (Read 4426 times) previous topic - next topic

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

This is my 85 T/C I picked up a couple weeks ago.  SUPER solid car, which is suprising being in Michigan and all.  Best I can tell the motro/trasn is from an 85 Cougar or T-bird.  Still has the original wires which are dated 1985 and the accessory layout is t-bird/cougar.  Been doing just minor stuff to it, fixing this or that, getting some things figured out.  After rebuilding the Holley, it really runs great now.  Its got the 3.45 gears in it so the aod helps out on the freeway nicely.  It had all the a/c stuff on it but since it didnt work, I carefully removed all of it and will re-install / make work next summer maybe.  All I will need is a new a/c ps pump bracket as i cut these ones down so it didnt look odd without the a/c compressor on there.  Since these pics, I have spun the radial t/a's around to white letter out and it looks much better.  New pics probably tomorrow night.  I'm a hardcore torino guy but I have had a couple other 83/86 Birds (86 5.0 Elan and 86 T/C) and really like them alot.  The big project for this one will be a 5 speed swap in the springtime.  Auto is nice but i REALLY like rowing thru the gears!  I really like this site!

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #1
Looks good everywhere except under the hood :P

Sorry, 2.3 fanboy here.

At least HO swap it :)
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #2
Nice looking car.Do you have any plans for it?If you don't mind,send me the seats asap.I'll be watching the mailbox.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #3
Sweet, another 4-eyes. What part of MI?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #4
Welcome to the forum.
Cool T-Bird !
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #5
thanks for the compliments guys. i am located just a little west of lansing in Portland.
Plans are for a 5 speed swap come springtime.
vinnie, better set up camp near that mailbox as its gonne be a loooong wait!  lol!
there are some REALLY sweet rides here!
had a guy come up to it at work and said it was a sweet ride, he had an elan for liek 7 years and never had any trouble with it.  then on the way home a guy on a pocket rocket gave me the thumbs up at a light, after we had blasted past some slow traffic at the end of some road construction.  oh, and my boss is pressuring me to sell it to him!
and my 3 1/2 year old son REALLY likes the car.  its always taken him a few rides in my torino's to like them but this one he liked right off the bat.
Mike

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #6
heres some uopdated pictures with the white letters out.  major improvement.  took these today at our all ford show.  got alot of compliments on the car.  its nice having something thats not the norm.
Mike

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #7
Looks good!
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #8
Nice looking bird man, wish I had a 4 eyes.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #9
Very nice bird, a little under hood detailing need, otherwise very clean!

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #10
Very nice! Why do so many people remove the A/C though?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #11
I removed mine because the Sport already had a non-functional a/c.I am now gathering the final pieces to put it all back on.Removing it from the car is stupid....unless it's an all race vehicle,it doesn't make that big of a difference to leave it on.It doesn't draw that much power,better than suffering in the heat to save a few pounds and a couple of horsepower.I'm speaking from an area that got to 117 degrees last month.As I said,I'm reinstalling mine,then selling off my a/c delete kit and belt.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #12
i pulled the items off because it was non-functional at this time.  sicne winter is coming, i see no interest right now in making it funtion.  all thep arts were carefully and properly removed and stored away. next summer i will start gathering parts to put it back on again.
Mike

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #13
Nice TC!
please please please please please please tell us you're going to HO the engine though! :D
Looks even better with the treads flipped around ;)

Quote from: ProTouring442;289082
Very nice! Why do so many people remove the A/C though?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Well, I took mine out
A: because it's all tied in with the EATC, which went bye-bye as well, and
B: no more than I'll drive it, I won't even have time to use the AC ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

My '85 Turbo Coupe 5.0

Reply #14
I want my bird to look like yours. I'm gonna model it. I already got the 5.0 / 5-speed though! Nice score there for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]