Skip to main content
Topic: Cat back exhaust for the Tbirds? (Read 880 times) previous topic - next topic

Cat back exhaust for the Tbirds?

I have found only one company that makes tail pipes for the Thunderbirds. Stinger. Is there any other companies? 88 thunderbird sport
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
Mustang exhaust will more or less work. You need to lengthen it about a foot between the cats and the lers. I think your supposed to get it for an LX since they have longer tail pipes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
i had a mustang tailpipe on my 86 tc, you have to lengthen the tialpipe and form behind the ler.
MODS: cone filter, no cat, flowmaster dumped, boost contoller, 4:10s

Reply #3
Are you looking for stock replacement or performance?

If its a stock replacement I would just have a decent shop make something.

If its performance you pretty much should replace the whole thing turbo back.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #4
I got on Ebay and found a company selling Stang parts.They had 2 1/2 inch Mandrell bent tails for  a decent price.I asked if they'd take $15.00 less,they accepted,and I got them 2 days later.They are just steel to the back,no stainless polished stuff,since I knew they were going to be hidden behind the fenders anyway as I was raising the exhaust.They were lengthened a few inches after the lers,a non issue really.They still look great after over 4 years.

The X-Pipe is from Pypes,and then the mid pipes I had made at the ler shop.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
So how did you mount the lers and tail pipes. They have a different setup from the Mustang's hangers.
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #6
The ler shop adapted my stock hangers to the new parts.If the shop can't do it,find a new shop.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
LOL. I like doing stuff myself. I was looking into the 95 up mustangs with the hanger off the rear bumper supports. Then weld the 1/2" hangers to the tail pipe. I was hoping to put 3" tips or have 3" tail pipes but no one goes that big with T-bird. They do with mustang but I am thinking 2 1/2" cat back with 3" tips. Magnaflows.

Reply #8
Take some advice from a old guy. I had a ler shop make my duals for my 83. They made it up and its been on the car for 6 years.its much easyer.get stainless if you got the money.

Reply #9
true. Stainless is the way to go.