Skip to main content
Topic: Mazda M5OD transmission (Read 5238 times) previous topic - next topic

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #15
5.0 Explorers did not have an available MTX. They were 5R55E automatics only. You could get the M5OD in the F150 behind the 5.0 and 4.9, but the gearing would be horrible for a car and I dunno if the shifter would be in the right place either.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #16
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;287551
5.0 Explorers did not have an available MTX. They were 5R55E automatics only. You could get the M5OD in the F150 behind the 5.0 and 4.9, but the gearing would be horrible for a car and I dunno if the shifter would be in the right place either.

2' shifter would look odd :mullet:

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #17
As I see - Stang's T5 is the only way for me...

Thanks everyone!
87'XR7, 94'SN-95

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #18
You can also go with custom bellhousings if you want to do alot of different tranny's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #19
I have found T5 from Mustang Fox
What parts I need to swap it?

Is it interchangeable with my AOD?
87'XR7, 94'SN-95

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #20
All the info you need is right here:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/t5_conversion.html
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #21
Ummmmmm...........You CAN use the M5R2 out of an F-150  -- they bolted those straight up to the 5.0s and they were the SC trannys -- not the M5OD ----slightly different.  You'd need a 164 tooth flywheel.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=21944&highlight=m5r2

http://www.fordification.com/M5R2_5spd-swap.htm

http://www.cobrasc.com/faqs_frames.htm

Does the Super Coupe 5-speed (M5R2) bolt up to a 5.0?

Yes, but you will need a 164 tooth 50oz unbalance flywheel.  The Mustang flywheel is a 157 tooth and will not work.  The diameter isn't large enough to engage the teeth on the starter.  Mc Leod industries can build one in either aluminum or steel.  I am using their dual disc clutch setup as well but they offer more streetable and less expensive clutches as well.  Mcleod can be contacted at (714) 630-2764 or (714) 630-3668 for tech service.

Hope this helps ;)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #22
Thunder Chicken
V8Demon
Thanks
87'XR7, 94'SN-95

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #23
you want a t5 not that mazda tranny...BELIEVE ME..Teh t5 is a perfect fit and the Mazda isnt...I also eat up those mazda trannys with my v6 tbird

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #24
The M5R2 was designed as a truck tranny.  The M5OD is a much smaller box, and the shifter is completely different from the R2.  The R2 wasn't designed for speed shifting, and is a very clunky shift anyway.  I have one in my F-150, behind a 5.0, and it's done a beautiful job in that truck for 160000 miles (and counting).  Any transmission can be destroyed behind any engine.  It isn't the engine destroying the tranny, it's the driver.  The curb weight of the T-Bird is nearly the same as my F-150 (standard cab, short bed), if not a little heavier.  (Go figure)  If you're running solid mounts, or poly mounts, and not the stock mounts, chances are, if you've got good bite on one burn-out, you're gonna turn a stock transmission into schrapnel.  I've burned 'em a time or two in my truck, but, wheel hop is so bad in that thing, it'll rip the rear springs out before it hurts the M5R2.  Don't ask me how I know.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #25
I snapped two input shafts..The t5 is a bolt in in every way wheras the SC tranny is not.  I cant see why anyone would whant that behemoth of a transmision in thier car

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #26
Quote from: DamonSlowpokeBaumann;290015
I snapped two input shafts..The t5 is a bolt in in every way wheras the SC tranny is not.  I cant see why anyone would whant that behemoth of a transmision in thier car

which tranny you mean "behemoth"?
T5 or SC (M6OD)?

==============

What do you say about T-45 with 302?
87'XR7, 94'SN-95

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #28
there were 2 m5r2's the SC shifter is farth back then the truck the truck shifter will pop up in the middle of your dash

for the sc m5r2 you will need a flywheel from a 92 f150 302 and you need 3 shimms on the starter or you will eat the starter up ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Mazda M5OD transmission

Reply #29
I have no idea why you wouldnt want to use a t5