Skip to main content
Topic: Tire thoughts..... (Read 2511 times) previous topic - next topic

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #15
Quote from: flipnbird;289840
I say go with the BFG KDW's, i had them and they are a  good tire, pretty sticky also. My son now has them on his mustang ( but he can't drive it yet, 2 more years )

Buddy had some on his LS2 GTO, the scale looking pattern, They always hooked pretty well. Hard 2nd shift barely a chirp. Cheap  he has on there now the ass end almost swings out on the 1-2 shift.

I lit them up in a SRT-4 though, back when I was learning to drive a stick. Still a nice sticky tire imo
1986 Cougar LS

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #16
let us know how the maxxis tires work out. i knew they were in the off road truck type tire scene, but just recently noticed they do performance car tires now too.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #17
So far so good.  Good grip in dry.  Comparable to the Pirellis.  A little better off the line.  They grab faster and there seems to be less wheel hop -- although I've gotten REAL good at eliminating wheel hop in this car :evilgrin:
 I attribute some of that to the wider profile and perhaps an extra 2 or 3 pounds per wheel may have something to do with it as well.  I haven't really driven them in the rain.  THe one time I did there were wet leaves everywhere and we all know that's about as bad as it gets -- worse than ice/snow IMO.

One possible drawback.  They're LOUD.  Not in normal driving, but when you get them to bark they HOWL.  The Pirellis were whisper quiet even when roasting the snot out of them. 

They DO seem to make a lot of performance oriented tires now in lots of sizes at a decent price.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #18
bias ply = suck to drive on.  stick with a radial.

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #19
Maxxis impressions in the snow........

Muy bueno.
I moved the car out of the driveway to clean the driveway and put it back.  First time I've ever been able to move it in a large amount of snow in my driveway without the car going sideways.  Put it in reverse, gave it a little gas and it just went.  The Pirellis gave me a bit of a fight last year in the same situation.  The Yokohamas I had before that ----- the car just spun....

All in all I'm VERY happy with these tires.  Especially considering the price!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #20
So you just drive it in the winter to move it in the driveway and not on the roads?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #21
Quote from: V8Demon;294166
Hmmm.....I believe I have found a tire option in the exact size I want.

http://www.gripston.com/search?q=255%2F60%2F15

Ordered 2 in that size and 2 more in 235/60-15.  Good price for an H-speed rated tire in thaose sizes with blackwall.  The options in these 2 sizes are disappearing.....I was actually perusing the pen 15er website for help.  Those of you who are familiar with pen 15er know one turns to them for "vintage" tires (read: unobtainable).

My current tires are a V- speed rating, but the compound always felt a little on the hard side for a tire of that speed rating.  At over $210 a tire; I couldn't see paying for them again.  Besides, they don't carry the 255's anymore....

Is it OK to run a LT tire on a passenger car?  My brother thought it was a bad idea.  I figure a tire is a tire......right?
Mike

Tire thoughts.....

Reply #22
Plenty of drag radials have LT ratings.

Quote from: thunderjet302;303418
So you just drive it in the winter to move it in the driveway and not on the roads?

I moved the car [SIZE="5"]out of the driveway[/SIZE][/I][/B] to clean the driveway and put it back.

I didn't go much of anywhere yesterday.  I drive it in the winter, but if I can avoid the snowy conditions I will.  I have 4 cars.