Skip to main content
Topic: My '86 TurboCoupe (Read 34235 times) previous topic - next topic

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #150
I think T3 is still good for me. The turbo has zero shaft play, it's quite surpricing for me.

Silver bird is long distance run with low budget, so the progress is slow. And my free time isn't (unfortunatelly) infinite either.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #151
I went 12.9's with a stock T3 with lots of boost and supporting mods.  The T3 is plenty for a street powered turboford.

Travis

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #153
Today, I've decided to change the leaking valve cover gasket. As it was off, I've noticed, that the camshaft has few worn cams. How big deal is it? I'm not technician and I have no experiences with engine repairs. Is someone able to predict, how much worn may be the crankshaft, or is it a common problem of these engines to have problem with camshaft lubrication?

Photo is from my silver bird.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #154
Very bad. And that cam is TOAST.,This is very common and you need a roller cam. Reason this happens is ford 2.3 engines have a nasty habit of sliding friction loads. A roller cam is the only FIX. It is only going to get worse. Sorry time for a cam change!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #155
^^^ This +1

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #156
Ok, so where can I get the correct camshaft and roller stuff around? I was looking on rockauto, but it seems to be all stock, no improvements.
And what about crankshaft? Is there any possible problem, or is it only camshaft's bad habbit?

EDIT: I've found some info about a Ranger cam. Is it a good direction?

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #157
I honestly couldn't say, since I bought my new head complete.  The Stock Ranger roller cam seems to work well with my stock TC setup, However, if you are going to look for a hotter roller cam for use in a turbo application, might I suggest giving comp cams tech line a call.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #158
My goal about this car isn't any 1000 HP street monster. I'd like to use it as a daily driver, so I'd be happy, with 250 - 300 HP max. I've read, that this is possible with only few mods, like higher boost, larger fuel injectors, larger VAM and programable ECU.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #159
Great car!
Sorry about the cam failure.
Hope it's up and running quickly.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #160
Browse the TurboFord forum classifieds and you can find a used Ranger cam and followers for pretty cheap. It isn't a performance upgrade, but it'll get you going.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #161
I'm still thinking what will be better for me. I want some power upgrade, but nothing big. I've found some info about Bo-Port cams, especialy Stage 1.5 and 1.9 and about Ranger cam. The question is, if the Ranger cam is good enough for power up to 250 - 300 HP, or should I save some money and buy Bo-Port. I don't need the car running immediately, spring or summer 2013 is good enough.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #162
I've had the bo 1.5 and 1.9 in my burgundy tbird with a holset on it.  The 1.9 is pretty doggy down low but pulls like crazy till 7000+.  For a street car with few mods, the 1.5 is what I would recommend because the holset spooled quicker with it, and before it got put in that engine, it was in my autox car with a .48 T3 and calculated out to 250whp on 22psi on an unported head and intake.  I have not run a ranger roller.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick: