Skip to main content
Topic: My '86 TurboCoupe (Read 34248 times) previous topic - next topic

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #60
Not now, but if you have some access to the scanner, you can scan one for me (600 dpi without any postprocessing). I think it will be cheaper to make some new cat heads here. Send me a PM, please.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #62
I'll scan one when I get a chance. Another 'quick fix' is to use a good quality black tape, apply it over the indent in the lens and simply cut around it with an exact-o knife.
tbirdregistry.com

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #64
Hi guys, I've bought today complete wiring harness from '88 V6 Bird quite cheaply. I would like to know the differences between my '86 TC and this '88 V6 wiring harness. The car was well equiped, so only things I'm still looking for is the electronic day - night mirror (with the holder for automatic dimming sensor) and the speedogear. I asked in the past, which speedogear is used on the stock C3 transmission for TurboCoupes, but I only received link to some pages with calculator. I don't know the number of teeth on driven gear, so I can't calculate the number of the teeth on speedogear. Can someone help me with this, please?

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #66
I don't have the mirror,but as soon as the weather clears up,I'll hopefully have a bunch of them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #68
I did some progress on my car this weekend. I reconected all the wires to original state, so the lamps work as they should :hick:

During the summer holliday I have to create the central switch for the lights to allow me easily change between european and US lighting.

Here are some photos:

The beginning

First test

We also tried to renew the paint :)

And finally the result

So now, all wiring is completely original I think.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #69
I've bought the Day - Night mirror from ebay, but it didn't work, so I decided to fix it. It had burnt motor. After the mail to Mabuchi Motor Company (they can send at least ten thousand motors:beatyoass:) I decided to rewire the motor coils. After about half day playing with the coils it finaly WORKS.

Here is the video (in czech language, but I think it doesn't matter).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31_jTTPpL8

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #70
That's a cool mirror! I might have to replace mine sometime in the future. The reflective part is wearing away and looks awful. I put a cover over it a long time and ran it like that for years but it looked tacky (though I had almost no blind spot with that thing!).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'86 Turbo Thundercat (Cougarbird)
'02 TrailBlazer LT 4x4
'08 Chevy Cobalt

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #71
Quote from: Trinom;322863
I've bought the Day - Night mirror from ebay, but it didn't work, so I decided to fix it. It had burnt motor. After the mail to Mabuchi Motor Company (they can send at least ten thousand motors:beatyoass:) I decided to rewire the motor coils. After about half day playing with the coils it finaly WORKS.

Here is the video (in czech language, but I think it doesn't matter).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31_jTTPpL8

Could you describe how you rewired the motor coils?  I imagine they were pretty small?  Great job on the fix!
tbirdregistry.com

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #72
Car looks great!  Good work fixing that mirror.  I have one laying around somewhere that is broken too. 

I have an 86 EVTM from my car.  Let me know if you need any pages scanned to complete your lighting.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #73
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;322914
Car looks great!  Good work fixing that mirror.  I have one laying around somewhere that is broken too. 

I have an 86 EVTM from my car.  Let me know if you need any pages scanned to complete your lighting.
I'm looking for one more this mirror, to my daily driver. It has automatic dimming too, but it can't be repaired.
I think I have all dospoogeentation for this car, except one volume of Shop manual (H).

Quote from: rodsterh;322903
Could you describe how you rewired the motor coils?  I imagine they were pretty small?  Great job on the fix!
I put all wires off the rotor. It's 0,05 mm (0.002") enamelled wire and it has 350 turns. First two were damaged almost at the end, but the third was in three or four pieces and the worst problem was to reconect this wire together with the soldering iron. I didn't count how many turns I did, but I used the original wires, so resistance is the same as it was before.

Here are two photos from rewiring

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #74
Last three days we worked on my Bird and our result are:
  • Completely rebuilt rear axle (all bearings changed, new wheel cylinders & brake shoes)
  • New engine oil, new transmission oil
  • New fuel pressure regulator

And tomorrow we're going to control oil pressure and I'll try to repair the alternator (bad bearing & probably partialy dead diode block) - I have one other for parts.