Skip to main content
Topic: My '86 TurboCoupe (Read 34239 times) previous topic - next topic

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #120
I went for a trip yesterday. The third czech 4-eyed bird is for sale. Unfortunately, it's in quite bad state and will need somebody to save it. I won't be that person probably.
It's '85 TC with manual transmission.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #121
I'll take the dash and shifter .....stat!!!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #123
I've seen far worse, Just needs some lovin' ;-)
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #124
Quote from: Trinom;360280
PS: What does "stat" mean?

Stat = ASAP = As Soon As Possible
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #125
To TRINOM, I cannot believe you're actually towing with your Turbo Coupe. I know you do not have your manuals but it even says under the hood not to tow. You can kiss your turbo charger goodbye, and have a thermostat 'meltdown', not to mention the terrible heat caused my such stress will wipe your engine out. The GVWR on TC's is very low because of this... You should read up.
Smurf

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #126
I like it.... just like brand new compared to mine (before)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #127
Quote from: Trinom;360280
The dash is horrible. Every single piece of wood is peeling. It isn't a foil, it's the real wood.

PS: What does "stat" mean?

I don't want that ugly wood stuff, I want the actual dash board.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #128
Quote from: Trinom;360174
I went for a trip yesterday. The third czech 4-eyed bird is for sale. Unfortunately, it's in quite bad state and will need somebody to save it. I won't be that person probably.
It's '85 TC with manual transmission.

This is in a "bad state"?  Looks better than some of the cars on here.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #129
Quote from: TurboSmurf;362074
To TRINOM, I cannot believe you're actually towing with your Turbo Coupe. I know you do not have your manuals but it even says under the hood not to tow. You can kiss your turbo charger goodbye, and have a thermostat 'meltdown', not to mention the terrible heat caused my such stress will wipe your engine out. The GVWR on TC's is very low because of this... You should read up.
Smurf
Nonsense. It tows very well. We europeans use much smaller cars to tow big trailers without any problem. This one doesn't have any problem with towing even with the automatic transmission. I don't use the tow bar, but I keep it on the car. It does'n tow any trailer for years, but I'm planning to tow a small caravan. They have about 400 kg, so it's similar to a fully loaded trunk :hick:.
If I buy the silver one, I'm going to buy a tow bar for it too.
And problem with a turbo? I haven't ever hear about any problem connected with towing. When the turbo is properly cooled down after the trip, there shouldn't be any problem.
I have the manuals. I see the warning, that I shouldn't use it for towing, but as I wrote. It's a nonsense.

But this isn't the reason, why I'm wrinting here.

During this week we opened the transmission again and replaced all necessary parts. The snap ring fell again, but now it didn't make that terrible noise. Then I found a problem with one friction plate in high/reverse clutch. One side was grinded off and it was the reason of the squeek after shifting reverse in the video from winter. It wasn't wrong adjusted band.
I changed all plates in both clutches, the snap ring, springs, springs retainer and few thrust washers.
After we put the tranny back on the car, it doesn't make any strange noise. I'm going to do a test drive tomorrow.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #131
Still a great looking car.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #132
Very nice....cool to think there is a TC running around over there. :D
tbirdregistry.com

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #133
There are only three four-eyed Thunderbirds in our country. Two TCs and one V8. The second TC is on the previous page and the black V8 is few pages back (or here). The silver one is for sale more than a year, so if I save some money on summer, I will buy it. It has a nice low price and it seems to be a solid project car.

My '86 TurboCoupe

Reply #134
I visited the owner of the silver TC yesterday again. I finally decided to buy it and give it another chance to live. The car isn't mine yet, but I'm going to buy it after this, or next pay day. He asks for 10 000 CZK (~ $500) which is a good price for me. It requires some minor body repairs, interior cleaning, but it's in suprisingly good state. It looks like the car didn't have any major crash in the past, just some minor parking lot damage on the left rear fender.
The rear amber turn signals makes me crazy, because I know the PUR bumper can't be repaired easily.

Here are some new photos. The complete gallery is on my picasa account.