Skip to main content
Topic: what lers do you recommend? (Read 1253 times) previous topic - next topic

what lers do you recommend?

Thinking about hooking up the TC and replacing the stock exhaust on my TC and am wanting some opinions on lers.

when I had my '85 TC, I messed up and put chambered lers on the car and watched my boost drop 2 psi......

so, I won't make that mistake again....

I want something that's loud...

I got an 87 TC

-Andrew

Reply #1
MagnaFlow.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #2
Quote from: Bruce M;282385
MagnaFlow.

any specific model magnaflow?

Reply #3
An exact ler part # to acquire the sound you want will be tough as it's personal preference.

Here's a good read for you:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=19019
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;282393
An exact ler part # to acquire the sound you want will be tough as it's personal preference.

Here's a good read for you:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=19019

really love the sound of Red_LXs exhaust..found his clips through his profile..he's using the hooker maximum flows....fairly cheap lers, too.

Reply #5
Dynomax bullet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #6
im a fan of no lers and no cats, personally.

but seeing as you have the 2.3, that probably wouldn't asound that great...
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #7
Quote from: RunninWild;282436
im a fan of no lers and no cats, personally.

but seeing as you have the 2.3, that probably wouldn't asound that great...

Why the  would you say that? Thats the way they sound best.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #8
lers are needed.No lers on any car sound like.......well.....no lers.Not cool.I have 40 series Flowmasters,,which I like,but,I like the Warlock lers better.They even had the built in cutouts for the track and getting loud.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
My buddy just got a set of Spintach lers.Wow,they growl.They have the entry/exit on the front side of the nuffler for his side exhaust.....like the old T/A Challengers and AAR Cudas.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
Sounds like glass packs on stock exhaust.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
I have Flowtech Afterburner lers which give a nice deep sound on a V8. I'm not sure how they would sound on a Turbo 4 though. They are "chambered" but not really. They have the inlet pipe running into a big chamber (basically the whole ler) and they an outlet pipe that runs out of the chamber.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Bottom line, if you cant see through the ler, it dont belong on the 2.3. At all.

You cant go wrong with magnaflow or dynomax ultraflo.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles