Skip to main content
Topic: Rear end vibration....pinion bearing? (Read 11539 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear end vibration....pinion bearing?

Reply #30
Let me know what you find out,and the details.I'll probably need them asap for the Sport.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #31
I will. I'm still not sure how the hell I'm going to fit a drive shaft in the 88 T-bird's trunk:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #32
The last time I hauled one,I took an old sheet and wrapped the driveshaft up really good and layed down the passenger seat and had it from the front floor board to the back seat.Must wrap.You don't want road grime and everything else in the car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #33
That might work ;) What sheets work best Spiderman or Batman?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
Personally,I'd go with Batman,but I don't want to push my super hero beliefs on you.LOL.

Reply #35
It's not the drive shaft. The source of the vibration is..........a bent passenger side axle:hick:. Some how the passenger side axle got bent. The weird thing is it doesn't really vibrate or wiggle noticeably till about 70 mph then you can really see it. The shop noticed it when they had it up on the lift running it trying to see what was causing the problem. So now I've got to get me some axles and bearings. I figure what the hell if I'm replacing one might as well do both if I'm in there:mullet:

Reply #36
Good to see you found your problem. Now you can enjoy it again.

Reply #37
I definitely wouldn't have thought of a bent axle...do you have an irregular wear pattern on the tire that's on that axle?
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #38
The funny thing is that the tire wear pattern is fine. I don't do a lot of expressway driving with it so maybe that's why. The axle is definatly bent. I could see it vibrating at about 70 when it was up on the lift. It really doesn't vibrate bad until that speed, then it goes nuts:hick:

Reply #39
Interesting.I don't think that's my problem,but,I may grab a set of axles when I'm out at the yard as a just in case.I have new seals and bearings,so,swapping the axles would take but an hour at the most if I take my time.

Reply #40
Quote from: vinnietbird;284911
Interesting.I don't think that's my problem,but,I may grab a set of axles when I'm out at the yard as a just in case.I have new seals and bearings,so,swapping the axles would take but an hour at the most if I take my time.

You never know ;). I didn't know mine was bent till I saw it vibrating.

The thing I don't get is how I bent it. I've never slid into a curb. Hell the closest I've come to a curb is bumping it at 3 mph parallel parking once in the last 2 years. Maybe I hit a pot hole just right or something at speed :dunno:

Reply #41
Oh the passenger side one is bent.....and it won't come out :hick: I can't push it far enough in to get the C clip off. I can get the driver's side one off easy if I want to but the passerger side, the one that has to be changed, is being a jerk. I spent 3 hours screwing with it today and almost got the C clip all the way off but not quite. I should be able to get it tomorrow when I have more time.

Reply #42
Old bent passenger side axle shaft out new axle shaft in and the problem is solved. It's smooth as silk at 70 and above :D

Reply #43
Glad to hear you got it taken care of!  Watch out for those grand canyon sized pot-holes!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #44
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;285866
Glad to hear you got it taken care of!  Watch out for those grand canyon sized pot-holes!

Oh I will. When I take the car out of winter storage in April there are still monster pot holes left over from the winter that haven't been filled yet:hick: