Skip to main content
Topic: 302 into 84 turbo (Read 7890 times) previous topic - next topic

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #30
Go for it man. Youll be happy you did.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #31
Quote from: 86XR7project;281341
Sarcasm is not a new concept to me. FYI. ;)

I'm glad it came through in the text, sometimes it doesn't.

I found a guy with 2 TC's an SVO engine and an SVO for sale in Decatur IL, I am probably going to buy one of the TCs and am arranging a delivery. Car has severe rust issues, but runs good. My car has next to no rust, but has no engine.

I just keep wondering who took the engine out of this car :hick: , it is in really good shape. At least I got a bargain out of it.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #32
so since I've found a 2.3T for a decent price, I am going to go back to near stock, I'll save the 302 for the next project, possibly a fairmont.

I'm going to keep a few hundred to the side and wait for a clean fairmont of zephyr to come up for sale and just buy it and park it at my brothers house. Just don't tell my wife!

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #33
Excellent!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #34
I gotta go with Chuck on this one.  I find it a lot more tolerable to tear up th 87/88 cars simply because of availability.  Glad to see you're going to go back to the 2.3T in your four-eyed 84.
Just curious, what year TC are you purchasing for your donor?
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #35
Quote from: jangus;281631
I gotta go with Chuck on this one.  I find it a lot more tolerable to tear up th 87/88 cars simply because of availability.  Glad to see you're going to go back to the 2.3T in your four-eyed 84.
Just curious, what year TC are you purchasing for your donor?

it's an 88,

I just sent the email confirming he will bring it out to me tomorrow, so it's a done deal.

I do want to preserve the TC as much as possible, I will probably do a turbo, intake exhaust and the SN95 spindles up front, and switch to 5 lug in the rear.  since it has no seats, I am checking Craigslist as much as possible to find some nice seats for it. I was looking at a set of red leather seats from a S2000, but I am going to see what else comes about.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #36
oh, I am not sure if I am going to put the vented hood on the 84 or not, I might want to go FMIC so I'll probably keep the plain hood for when I do.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #37
car was delivered yesterday, now I need to figure out what all I need to change when I swap the motor, probably not much at all.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #38
Guess what I have and 84 turbo coupe and it has many upgrades. I believe that to install your 88 2.3t in your 84 you will need to do some minor things. If you want to use the 88 intake you will need to find and 86 fuel rail. Then you will need to swap the TPS connector either the harness or the car side. Then you will need an 86 PC or PC1 ECU unless you are planning on a Tuner. With minor rewiring you can use the 88 3g style alternator. Might also want to use the Dual rad fan setup also.

That is it off the top of my head
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #39
well, I have the complete 88 TC, I'm sure for the most part whatever I need to swap can be pulled from the 88. I mean, since I am using the 88 intake why not use the 88 fuel rail? Or do you need to use the 86 fuel rail to use the 84 ECU? I definetely want to keep the dual fan radiator set up. I'm still thinking of the megasquirt I kit. I'm not going too crazy with the car, but I do want 300 RWHP.

I'm planning on getting the engine into the 84 and getting it all wired and running, repair small things as needed and swapping the rear from the 88 into the 84 to get the 8.8 and disc rear. However I am still looking at an LSC rear to get vented 5 lug discs and the SN95 spindles up front with the cobra conversion, then I can run the Bullitts like I want to. Then it will be a header and watching CL for a turbo, then injectors and FPR and pump...
etc etc.....
But anyway, for right now, I want to get the 84 running. Then I will worry about upgrades when it is on the road.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #40
Unless there was changes in the way the fuel hoses from the rail to the chassis hardlines hookup, I don't see why you couldn't use the 88 rail.
As far as using the 84 ECU, why the h*ll would you?  It limits you to a small VAM and 30# injectors.
The 88 ECU would be a muc better choice for performance.  It should also be capable of seeing you through to 300 rwhp, it uses the large VAM, 35# injectors, and has a faster processor.  It simply has too many benefits not to use.  Do a search over on TurboFord.net to get the skinny on using the 88 ECU in an earlier chassis. You'll also find the knowledge base over at NATO to be quite helpful. I know I do.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #41
Quote from: jangus;282011
Unless there was changes in the way the fuel hoses from the rail to the chassis hardlines hookup, I don't see why you couldn't use the 88 rail.
As far as using the 84 ECU, why the h*ll would you?  It limits you to a small VAM and 30# injectors.
The 88 ECU would be a muc better choice for performance.  It should also be capable of seeing you through to 300 rwhp, it uses the large VAM, 35# injectors, and has a faster processor.  It simply has too many benefits not to use.  Do a search over on TurboFord.net to get the skinny on using the 88 ECU in an earlier chassis. You'll also find the knowledge base over at NATO to be quite helpful. I know I do.

Yeah I am already a member, that's where I found the 88 for sale.

I was planning on using the 88 ecu until I get a Megasquirt.

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #42
You need to use the 86 rail due to the style of fuel line hook up. 83-86 had those clips to hold it on. 87-88 gas those spring lock style connectors. Then I never said use an 84 ECU I said to find an 86 PC or PC1 ecu. Yes the 88 it a bit quicker processor but you have to repin the ECU connector to make it work right. With the 86 PC or PC1 processor it plug right in. Then you also get the 35lbs injectors programed right in. As for the air meter maybe you need to look more into it. I've been running the Big VAM with my PC1 and 35lbs/hr injectors for several years now no problems. Then internal circuits of the Large and small VAM are identical. So before you start slaming other make sure you have your facts straight. I guess we now know who has really done the searching over at turboford.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #43
Quote from: ipsd;282053
I guess we now know who has really done the searching over at turboford.

Stuckman

Maybe so, but unless someone wanted to swap a PE processor for the LB2 or 3, I'd sure as hell be swapping fuel lines and repining the connector... I've swapped the 2.3 lines on mine for 5.0 stuff, no biggie when the engine is out of the car...

302 into 84 turbo

Reply #44
Thanks for the info on the fuel rail differences. Never knew until now.  Learn something everyday.
    IPSD, I wasn't attacking you for the 84 ECU, I merely mentioned (after reading Colvins post about using it) that the 88 ECU has more advantages, and is well worth the time to repin the connector for.
As far as using a Large VAM with a PC or PC-1 ecu, I never said it wouldn't work. It's still not correct, and it surely isn't functioning properly. Acceptably, but not properly.  The Large VAM is 20% larger than the small VAM. It has a higher air flow versus voltage signal output than the small vam.  The PC and PC-1 computers are going to see a certain voltage, and pull the corresponding airflow from the internal table, and it'll be a lean mixture because the ECU doesn't know you've put the larger VAM, with corresponding greater airflow, in the car. You may have it running, but unless you've compensated with a higher base fuel pressure, you're running lean. Lean means hot, and no one wants that with a detonation pr0ne turbo engine.
Now, I in no way personally slammed anyone, especially you.  You got defensive, and accused me of not being capable of, or smart enough, to use the search function over at Turboford.  That I take personally, as it was clearly meant personally.