Skip to main content
Topic: seat back cover removeal (Read 1979 times) previous topic - next topic

seat back cover removeal

Ok,,
I give................
HOW THE F does the headrest come off so the seat back cover comes off.

I tilted the seat almost all the way back
I position myself in the back seat
I pulled hard on the head rest yanking the hell out of it
It never poped out.
I got sent all this 20th stuff im trying to put on and attemped the back seat cover last week and couldnt get the head rest off.

I happen to know of :Dsomeone:D who used a saw sal to cut off the head rest.

I felt up in the back and could see with my fingers that there is a  that i might need to overcome in order to pop it out.

should i flood the head rest metal bar with some oil then try again or is there an obsticle still in the way?

seat back cover removeal

Reply #1
there's a notch i the bar that the headrest is attached to. you should be able to slide a piece of sheet metal along and into the back side of the bar. it should open the spring clip in the back of the seat that holds the headrest on. you might also try from the bottom of the track after you unzip the seat cover. I think it may be easier to get the sheet metal in the track with out the headrest in your way.

I may have a "how to" on that subject tomorrow if you can hold on. I need to take mine off too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

seat back cover removeal

Reply #2
so your tallking about the pivit point of the head rest in the earlier part of your post, thus leaving the headrest metal bar in the seat ?

seat back cover removeal

Reply #3
no, the whole bar will pull out of the seat after the spring clip is released.
and sorry, the clip is on the front side , not the back side,

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If the instructions below don't work, because of a clearance problem with the metal strip and the headrest bar, Try this method from underneath....[/COLOR] http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=24641

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

seat back cover removeal

Reply #4
Ahh
i suppose i should have looked at my shop manual. looks simple enough of a job for a slim jim.

seat back cover removeal

Reply #5
i wanted to ask this a few times thankyou for the photo daminc

seat back cover removeal

Reply #6
I was going to ask myself, until I stumbled on it in the book.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I updated post #4[/COLOR]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook