Skip to main content
Topic: Stock '87 Power TC seats (Read 1265 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Anyone else who is tall have an issue with whacking their head on the roof everytime you hit a bump?

I'm 6'2 and every  time I hit a bump, my head whacks the roof.  It it honestly starting to be annoying to the point that I'd prefer to drive my 08 Impala as often as possible.  Nothing like driving to work and hitting a bump which makes you whack your head then you get a  headache.

I also hit the turn signal lever everytime I push in the clutch and I also cannot put down the steering wheel any because of my knees.

Anyhow...

As for the power seat buttons-everything works except the rear tilt and the power lumbar will only push out the lumbar, but not retract it.

The seat is all the way back, all the way down and the front tilt is all the way down.  The front part of the seat seems to be slanted up...is that from the rear tilt?

Any ideas?  Any suggestions from tall men who own a 87 TC......

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #1
I leave the front part of the seat all the way up, the rear all the way down, seat all the way back and the back part of the seat tilted back alittle ways. Probably couldn't even fit a bottle of anti freeze in the back seat. I would put the lumbar back in all the way. I just don't see how it could actually help any at all. I do not have a clutch, yet, and haven't had any problems with the turn signals or any of the levers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;276134
I leave the front part of the seat all the way up, the rear all the way down, seat all the way back and the back part of the seat tilted back alittle ways. Probably couldn't even fit a bottle of anti freeze in the back seat. I would put the lumbar back in all the way. I just don't see how it could actually help any at all. I do not have a clutch, yet, and haven't had any problems with the turn signals or any of the levers.

mine is pretty much set like your...I can't retract the lumbar; the button doesn't work when I try to retract it.  =(

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #3
First, no matter what happened with our T-Bird, it could never be bad enough to get me into an Impala. LOL. Regarding the seat not moving, I have seen many problems like that and it has always been a bad motor on the seat track assembly. We've got tons of them, so I have always just pulled the seat, swapped the power track assembly, pitched the old seat track assembly and motored happily along.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #4
Quote from: 85turbotbird;276133
Anyone else who is tall have an issue with whacking their head on the roof everytime you hit a bump?

I'm 6'2 and every  time I hit a bump, my head whacks the roof.  It it honestly starting to be annoying to the point that I'd prefer to drive my 08 Impala as often as possible.  Nothing like driving to work and hitting a bump which makes you whack your head then you get a  headache.

I also hit the turn signal lever everytime I push in the clutch and I also cannot put down the steering wheel any because of my knees.

Anyhow...

As for the power seat buttons-everything works except the rear tilt and the power lumbar will only push out the lumbar, but not retract it.

The seat is all the way back, all the way down and the front tilt is all the way down.  The front part of the seat seems to be slanted up...is that from the rear tilt?

Any ideas?  Any suggestions from tall men who own a 87 TC......

I'm 6'4" and have a similar complaint. My mom bought the Sport new in 88.  I thought it was the hottest ride short of a Mark VII and couldn't wait to put miles on it. It took a few times behind the wheel to turn me off of the car. Even with the seal all the way back, down and reclined it's tight. I hit everything while getting in & out. Now 21 years and 70 lbs later I decided to restore it. I recall a company that sold seat track relocators. They are supposed to give a few more inches of leg room. I suppose I could also get a second pair of knees installed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1962 Thunderbird convertible
1971 Mustang Mach1 429SCJ

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #5
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;278971
I'm 6'4" and have a similar complaint. My mom bought the Sport new in 88.  I thought it was the hottest ride short of a Mark VII and couldn't wait to put miles on it. It took a few times behind the wheel to turn me off of the car. Even with the seal all the way back, down and reclined it's tight. I hit everything while getting in & out. Now 21 years and 70 lbs later I decided to restore it. I recall a company that sold seat track relocators. They are supposed to give a few more inches of leg room. I suppose I could also get a second pair of knees installed.

yeah, it made me want to drive my '08 Impala more than drive the tbird, but since I've taken the arm rest off of the door panel, I've gained a TON of leg room..now I can position my foot on the clutch so I don't hit the turn signal everytime I have to push the clutch.

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #6
Here's a link to the seat relocator. For $70 I'm going to give it a try when the time comes as it promises 4.5" of additional leg room. I might try removing the arm rest as well. It a little is good, more is better.

http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm#Seat%20Trax%20Xtenders!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #7
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;278975
Here's a link to the seat relocator. For $70 I'm going to give it a try when the time comes as it promises 4.5" of additional leg room. I might try removing the arm rest as well. It a little is good, more is better.

http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm#Seat%20Trax%20Xtenders!!

my issue now is basically the head clearance..I still have to tilt my head if I know I'm going over a bump.

tbird232ci is going to try to fabricate some delete panels for the doors..stay tuned.

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #8
But our seat tracks are different than Stangs.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #9
Quote from: vinnietbird;278986
But our seat tracks are different than Stangs.

In which way are they different ? I didnt think of that ? I just ASSumed they'd fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #10
There farther apart and what not. If your just gonna buy a flat peice of steel, why not make your own and drill holes where you need it?. I'm still not sure how you guys are hitting your heads. maybe its because I slouch alittle bit. I don't think I have ever hit my head on the roof either. I get out almost like an old man crawling out of bed in the morning though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #11
darn! i was hoping that would work too. thats part of the
reason i want to get rid of mine. its just not comfortable.
too cramped for leg room. would take major alterations
on the seat track to gain a couple of inches. anyone done
something to theirs?---irv

Stock '87 Power TC seats

Reply #12
This is why I like being 5'9" and 155 lbs. I fit in cars :p
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.