Skip to main content
Topic: 4k shutoff (Read 5054 times) previous topic - next topic

4k shutoff

Reply #30
true, didn't think about that. will have to check it again going down the road.
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #31
turned 4200rpm in drive today.

anyone want to do the math? 1:1 drive ratio with 2.73 rear and 215/60-15's

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #32
Right around 110mph, in a fox t-bird/cougar, it feels a hell of a lot faster than it actually is.....in order to go 160 with that car, you'd have to turn just a little over 6,000rpm...that's not happening.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

4k shutoff

Reply #33
Gotta remember your converter will be slipping at wide open throttle, too, (it won't lockb up at WOT) so you're not quite at 1:1
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

4k shutoff

Reply #34
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;276263
Gotta remember your converter will be slipping at wide open throttle, too, (it won't lockb up at WOT) so you're not quite at 1:1

True but on a AOD 3rd & O/D are driven from the inner shaft that's splined into the front hub of the converter... Ford says something about it being 60% lockup in 3rd and full in O/D... All I know is there is almost no increase in rpm from converter flash when you hammer it in 3rd...

Still the only way that car is going to run 160, is maybe off a cliff(a tall one)...

4k shutoff

Reply #35
i never claimed 160 that i recall

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #36
although my brothers 88 stang WILL run 160

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #37
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;276297
i never claimed 160 that i recall

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;273877
Well I'm calling BULL shiznit on this... Six miles of stop/go & 45 mph averaged into 19 miles would probably mean you'd have to be running 150-160mph the for the 19mi... AS I SAID, BULL shiznit...

As far as prev turning 6500 another BS, the computer limits RPMs to 6250... Ain't happinin' with STOCK ford valve springs anyway...

Wanna try another story???

In a round about way, you surely did...

4k shutoff

Reply #38
all i know is when i left and when i arrived. i left my friends house and made it to Advance Auto in 12 minutes. i left at 7:35 and arrived at 7:47. yahoo maps says it's a 23 miles, so it's not quite as far as i thought and maybe there was a little less of the 45mph section. i was without a doubt turning 4000rpms in OD until i lost OD about a mile from Advance Auto.

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #39
anyways, back to the subject at hand, i found out that it started doing this when the previous owner installed an HO upper, TB/spacer, mustang headers, and 19# injectors.

i have ruled out vacuum leaks, so i think it has to be the injectors. will 19# injectors cause this?

i'm about to finish out my HO conversion, have a friend giving me a SD HO computer, just gota get a cam and heads. i have heard that the heads don't make much of a difference, is this true? i would rather just get it running good for now because i'm buying an explorer engine soon and dont want to waste money on e7's

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #40
You will kill someone driving that fast. I have driven alot faster then anyone ever should in these cars. After blowing out a couple of 15 year old tires, I have really calmed down. You will too, or you would get so lucky and it will end itself.

Even since I got married and had a kid, I rarely even go 5mph over.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

4k shutoff

Reply #41
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;276327
i was without a doubt turning 4000rpms in OD until i lost OD about a mile from Advance Auto.

Absolutely not, that's 158mph...and the fact you can NOT go full throttle in OD...it'll downshift to 3rd.  The standard output will NOT pull 4k rpm against an aerodynamic wall in OD...it'd be hard to do it in 3rd.  You probably lost 3rd & 4th gears, which is quite common with AOD's.  SO makes peak power at 3200rpm...turning anything more than 3800-4000 is a waste.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

4k shutoff

Reply #42
19# injectors on a SD computer that's calibrated for 14# injectors will certainly cause a rich condition. Whether it'd cause your cutout is a different matter (it certainly wouldn't help), but I still say it's just your lo-po SO 5.0 running out of air. Their power peak, like Sick88 said, is 3200 RPM, so the power will drop off after that and will fall off rapidly at 4000 RPM because the engine just can't move enough air. Remember, 4500 RPM is the (pathetically low) redline of these lumps.

With all else being HO parts (cam, intake, TB, injectors, computer, headers, exhaust) the E7 heads would probably be worth anywhere between 15-25 horsepower. The '86 HO used E6 heads and only made 200 horsepower, while the '87 used E7's and made 225. Not all of that power difference is from the E7 heads though - the '87 also had a larger TB and true dual exhaust with H-pipe, while I believe the '86 Mustang had single exhaust and a slightly smaller throttle body...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

4k shutoff

Reply #43
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;276357
Absolutely not, that's 158mph...and the fact you can NOT go full throttle in OD...it'll downshift to 3rd.  The standard output will NOT pull 4k rpm against an aerodynamic wall in OD...it'd be hard to do it in 3rd.  You probably lost 3rd & 4th gears, which is quite common with AOD's.  SO makes peak power at 3200rpm...turning anything more than 3800-4000 is a waste.

i do not have to go WOT to turn 4000rpms, not even 3/4.

this car HAS turned 6500rpm, my brother used to own it and i have personally seen it do it. granted it was in first gear.

86 Mustang GT

4k shutoff

Reply #44
Your tach's off, Ford EEC cut the fuel at 6250, it ain't going higher period unless you have a chip to increase the rev limiter... There ain't no maybe about the fuel cut, it's just like you turned off the ign sw...