Skip to main content
Topic: when to get new oilpump/oil pan (Read 750 times) previous topic - next topic

when to get new oilpump/oil pan

im getting a 347 stroker motor put in within 6 months with around 300rwhp and i was wondering if im going to need a new oilpump and oilpan?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
Yes, replace the pump...no sense in putting in a built motor with a junky old oil pump...cheapest insurance you can get...if the pan isn't physically damaged, then there isn't a real NEED to replace it, but if you want to put in something baffled to prevent oil slosh, then go for it.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #2
Take my word for it, just replace the oil pan while its out.  Oil pans are cheap and you don't want to run into what I just went through.  We just put the motor back in and went to change the oil and the threads for the oil plug broke in the pan.  Not fun and I kick myself for not grabbing the pan off the HO donor motor and swapping on while it was out.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
alright thanks for the help. its greatly appreciated
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #4
I will also say to replace the pump and pan! I had stripped threads too.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #5
If you pan isn't rusty, dented or the oil plug threads stripped, you probably don't need one... Anyway if ypu don't check it closely,  a used pan could suffer the plug problem with the threads... ALWAYS install a NEW oil pump on a new engine...