Skip to main content
Topic: Proving someones point or.... (Read 4262 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Proving someones point or....

Reply #15
Cool 3 outta 4! So when you say you didn't notice a diff between the 1" and the 1/2" was that in the engine response sense? I guess it doesn't matter too much, i'm only looking to pick up the FMS 1/2" anywho's. Oh, Eric, what was your general before and after impression of the spacer?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #16
Last thing I paid someone to do was change a u-joint, only cause I didn't have a 12 point 13 socket the only night of the week I could change it.

You could  use a wrench to take off the driveshaft...  I usually never use a socket...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #17
Oh, Eric, what was your general before and after impression of the spacer?

Just a PITA to install. Keep in mind I have the Cobra upper and Cobra/GT40 lower with the round ports. Ended up needing another gasket because one of the two that came with the kit got ripped pretty easily. They don't exactly carry those at parts stores...a trip to Summit Racing was in order (oh, how it pained me). I thought dealing with one spacer was bad...with these kits you have one on top, and one on the bottom, of the spacer.

Like I said, I noticed no performance difference at all on the street. It's only on my engine to lift the intake over the tall valve covers. Otherwise I'd have sold the spacer kit awhile ago (or never bought it in the first place). My particular engine seems to show little response to mods, probably because I did a lot of them at once and now it's like a drop of water in the bucket. On the dyno it may show improvements, I don't know. I am also running the E-303 cam with an AOD, so there is little vacuum at idle to begin with. I may have a vacuum leak somewhere that's preventing me from enjoying any kind of small performance mods too. On a relatively stock non-HO or HO motor with the factory upper, I imagine you would notice a difference with a spacer.

Reply #18
Hey eric next time you need gaskets for your intake, order them for a 95 cobra stang. You should be able to get them at any parts store specially napa.  ;)

Mike
1986 bird, 306, Dart heads, 550 lift cam, exp. intake, 50lbs injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, Procharger D1R blower 14lbs, 3 core intercooler, 55shot ZEX N20, tremec 5speed, 3.73 gears, auburn pro posi,headman full length headers, 3" exhaust
custom chip by 5.8FastCat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1955 bird 351w, AFR 185 Heads, 580 lift cam, D1R  Procharger 10lbs tremec 5speed, 3.92 Gears

2007 Hayabusa, R-22 pipes, K&N,  Power Commander
192hp

"Imports are like tampons, every p@$$y has one"

Reply #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shame302
NO its not its exactly the same... 

Since when??? The HO and SO lowers I've seen have the same part number...

i was just messin with shawn...i know they are the same. thats why i said what i said...lol

the theory of the heat spacer makes alot of sense. weather or not they make much of a differance is neglegable. i think erics application (tall valve cover clearance) would be just as good a reason to use one as its intended use. i wouldnt realy bother buying one for a stock style intake if you plan on getting an aftermarket intake later on. better to buy one than 2...i think they are better suited as one of those last mods you do to squeak every list bit or power out of an engine. like plug indexing for example...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #20
Hey eric next time you need gaskets for your intake, order them for a 95 cobra stang. You should be able to get them at any parts store specially napa. 

That's basically what I did when my gasket tore. Got one at AutoZone for a 93 Cobra. They're always in stock and the gasket is better than the standard ford gasket.

Reply #21
I plan on doing the HO upper plenum, TB and spacer swap soon, I had to buy a new TV cable though because it seems Ford changed the desine of were the TV cable mounts to the TB, had to update to newer style cable with the brass bushing. A buddy of mine did this with his 87 and said he noticed a differance in performance and gass milage, he claims doin 70mph he gets 34mpg according to the dash cluster. but what he also did is that he blocked off the EGR passage in the lower intake with a 13/16 freeze plug, and he said that cooled the air going into the TB, he also elimenated the coolant hoses to the spacer. I plan on dion the same thing whene I go into the intake.

Reply #22
the corect part number for the plenum gasket on Cobra and GT40 intakes is Fel-Pro MS-95953

and should be stocked in most auto part stores..

Fel-Pro Gaskets

have a nice day

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #23
I think you guys are wasting your money and time with the phenolic spacers. I doubt any of you will see any gains on the dyno or "seat of your pants" feel when installing these. I have two on mine, 3/8" and a 1/2" for a total of 7/8". I only did this to clear my tall valve covers. I didnt notice any difference at all. Soon I will have my HO intakes for sale if anyone is interested.

James

Reply #24
Let me correct myself....the gasket wasn't available at the time, at the parts stores around me. Which meant I *sigh* HAD to make the trip to Summit. ;)

Reply #25
Eric,i had a similar issue.
My auto parts store said that they could not get a gasket for a 1993 cobra but however the 1996 to 2000 explorer 5.0l is a gt40 as well so i just had them search that and bingo they had one in stock.
Why they can't cross reference that i don't know,doesn't make sense to me.
As for seat of your pants feel with the spacer,i speak from experience when i say that on a STOCK SO engine i definetly does make a noticeable differance.
This may be due to the fact that that engine is so detuned (STUPID 155HP) that anything you do will show a noticable improvement.

Reply #26
Quote from: dominator
Eric,i had a similar issue.
My auto parts store said that they could not get a gasket for a 1993 cobra but however the 1996 to 2000 explorer 5.0l is a gt40 as well so i just had them search that and bingo they had one in stock.
Why they can't cross reference that i don't know,doesn't make sense to me.
As for seat of your pants feel with the spacer,i speak from experience when i say that on a STOCK SO engine i definetly does make a noticeable differance.
This may be due to the fact that that engine is so detuned (STUPID 155HP) that anything you do will show a noticable improvement.

:crazy: Same Part Number :raspberry

i guess your parts guys don't have a clue...  :rollin:

but then again!!!
i guess thats why most of the time when i have to go to parts stores these days.
i have to go to the shelf my self. because most of the time they say they don't stock it.. then i say ok!
give me the book.
then i open the book and then go to the shelf..
and most of the time i come back with the part in my hand..
and all they can do is scratch their head!!! and go:dunno: 
and i shake my head in :disappoin
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz