Skip to main content
Topic: Proving someones point or.... (Read 4261 times) previous topic - next topic

Proving someones point or....

How to get into an argument with a mechanic. (Warning may be long winded for some).

Now some may remember my thread I started on performance ideas/possibilities for a S.O. engine. Needless to say ideas were derived  and seeds were planted in minds. So today I headed over to my mechanic to get a quote on getting my lower intake manifold gasket done and what else I should take care of while this was getting done. I just recently purchased a H.O. upper intake manifold, and I also am looking to buy a 1/2" FMS plenum spacer. The plan was to have the mechanic install these items on the car when the lower intake gaskets were done, the spacer to go on during reassembly and H.O. upper to go on in place of S.O. upper. However the mechanic seemed to be rather adamant that I was "going in the wrong direction" and that installing those items would hinder more than help. The remark I got for the H.O. upper was that "it wouldn't match up or seal right to the lower intake". Now i've read and have been told that this a "direct bolt-on" upgrade, no modifying necessary. But he insisted that one of his buddys who "worked" for a ford dealer service deparment that you absolutly had to have the matching HO lower to do the swap right. I don't get it, is it possible? have I been wrong all this time? or is my mechanic mis-informed? So onto the plenum spacer issue. The mechanics response was "it'll kill your gas mileage and low-end torque, and possibly not fit". My understanding of this device is exactly the opposite. I have read that by lengthening the intake runners, you increase low end torque, make the air charge cooler, and potentially increase gas mileage. So to get to the point, who's right, who's wrong, or am I barking up the wrong tree to get that little bit extra outta my engine?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Re: Proving someones point or....

Reply #1
The 5.0 SEFI intake is the same.  SO or HO.  However, the ones on the CrownVic and Grand Marquis are different, but that is none of your concern.  Mustang and T-birds.. all the same.  The lowers are no different at all.  Tell him to suck a nut.

Reply #2
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Tell him to suck a nut.

Well that, or just tell him to put it on anyway!! Tho I do occassionally clash with him/them, I still respect their opinion, and especially the work they do.

Reply #3
well, the HO intake throttle body and egr did wonders for the response of my SO engine with a noticable gain in power. the gas mileage is the same if not better. the lowers are exactly the same as previously stated. thats it cut and dry. to be honest with you, you should install the lower intake gasket yourself as well as the upper. its as easy as it gets and you get that much more farmilliar with your car. it will save you the labor money the ballsucker mechanic was going to soak you for anyway. use that money for tools or something.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
the lower is exactly the same
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
the lower is exactly the same

NO its not its exactly the same... :flip:  :giggle:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
I put the H.O. upper on mine last Friday.I took my time and it still didn't take 45 minutes.Go for it.It's easier than it looks.I figured since it'll be another month before I can get my H.O. engine in the car,I may as well do this swap in the meantime.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
K, so we've agreed that the HO upper will bolt on direct, a match port for port no questions asked. Any insight on the plenum spacer? Seems like it's one of those mythical parts that no-one wants to talk about! Is there a possibility of clerance issues, or would it kill my MPG, or is this actually a good idea for an SO engine?

Reply #8
Mechanics are mostly dumb.... I was told that because I don't have cats I am running super rich and I would end up burning my valves. Yet every single person I talk to says the exact opposite.

Reply #9
Thought i'd pass this along. Port Indexing Seems like a good idea. Imma try it out myself.

LoL. I start school in May to be one of those Mechanics. ^_^ They are always telling me what 'will' and 'won't' work. I just say 'ok' and go find someone else (or do it myself). But i do most of the work on my ride anyways so that's been cut down considerably.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #10
Last thing I paid someone to do was change a u-joint, only cause I didn't have a 12 point 13 socket the only night of the week I could change it. 

You learn by screwing stuff up!  So go break something so you can fix it!
One 88

Reply #11
Quote from: shame302
NO its not its exactly the same... :flip:  :giggle:

Since when??? The HO and SO lowers I've seen have the same part number...

Reply #12
To answer your question about the intake spacer,when i had my SO engine i installed a 1/2" heat spacer and instantly felt a seat of the pants torque feeling.
They do work,seperating the 2 intakes to get a cooler air charge as well as effectivley lengthening the runners to provide more torque.
Look at the 5.0L truck intake,those runners are much longer than a car 5.0L,reason,more torque.
O and as for that dumb mechanic thing,i kinda take offense to that as i am one, so if we could keep that to a minimum that would be great.

Reply #13
Quote from: dominator
To answer your question about the intake spacer,when i had my SO engine i installed a 1/2" heat spacer and instantly felt a seat of the pants torque feeling.
They do work,seperating the 2 intakes to get a cooler air charge as well as effectivley lengthening the runners to provide more torque.
Look at the 5.0L truck intake,those runners are much longer than a car 5.0L,reason,more torque.

That's the info i'm looking for! I've read about the cooler air charge and such and the extra torque, i'm looking to verify that it would most likely improve my MPG. I'm thinking it would myself but input from someone who's got one would be nice. Also were there any clearance issues with the spacer? Just wanna make sure that when the hood gets closed I don't end up with a crease in the hood or worse.

Reply #14
A 1/2" spacer won't affect anything. A 1" spacer certainly will; it would be close with the hood, and you would have to remount the throttle cable bracket to the upper by drilling new holes. I've noticed absolutely no difference with the 1" spacer in the convertible. Only reason I have it is for the upper to clear the tall valve covers. It's kinda nice actually using the cowl hood though. ;)