Skip to main content
Topic: Wacky Temperature Gauge (Read 7148 times) previous topic - next topic

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #30
dont kill yourself trying to tear things apart.
get that temporary temp guage installed and compare what the cluster says to the temporary guage.

I suppose you did unhook the little red wire at the temp sender and connected it to chassis ground?

if so,, did it peg out to max?

If it does then im afraid you may be needing to take a couple readings on your temp guage wires, your looking for 12ohms.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #31
I feel like we can rule out the IVR , like any other person you talk to, you should get a second opinion.  I am 95% sure the ivr is not the problem.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #32
I think I grounded it way back in time, thats easy, I can do that again. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to use both gauges though, the one in the car has a different sender, and the temp gauge I will put in uses it's own. They both can't be in the same hole...

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #33
Use the tee and nipple in the intake. The aftermarket gauge on the top and factory gauge on the side I'll be working in the yard on sat if you want to come by we can do it in my drive way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #34
the external temp guage will have wires going to it,, so if you want,
just remove your lil single wire temp sensor, then install the aftermarket one, run wire n the car, zip tie the mofookie somewhere you can see it.
its just a test bed anyway,,nothing overcomlicated.  your just troubleshooting.

if your temporary sender doesnt fit the hole,, then figure it out, thats what we have to do all the time, but the sender needs to be touching water (submerged) to signal correctly.

in the time it took you to reply, you couldve (in 5min flat) walked out and grounded the guage, and answered your two year old question.
im just sayin,, its a simple cooling problem and there aint too many things to check before it becomes an engine component problem.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #35
Quote from: jcassity;349670
in the time it took you to reply, you couldve (in 5min flat) walked out and grounded the guage, and answered your two year old question.
im just sayin,, its a simple cooling problem and there aint too many things to check before it becomes an engine component problem.

Not entirely true. When I responded I'm at work. I work 8-5(usually 6) monday-friday. It's a shirt and tie job, so I'm def. not going to go out in the parking lot and start wrenching on my car in expensive clothes. It's dark when I get home at night, and it's cold. So I can't do much. I try to gather up as much information as I can for when I do have some daylight to do the job(usually on weekends). But tonight, I will ground the gauge, and see what happens.

Quote from: thewestie;349627
Use the tee and nipple in the intake. The aftermarket gauge on the top and factory gauge on the side I'll be working in the yard on sat if you want to come by we can do it in my drive way.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but there isn't a t in my intake, lol.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #36
Quote from: jpc647;349692
Maybe I'm an idiot, but there isn't a t in my intake, lol.
  I think he meanshiznit an  auto supply house and get a T fitting , which I agree is a fantastic idea
Fox-less at the moment

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #37
The problem with adding a tee to the coolant sensor is that you aren't getting a true reading anymore. The water doesn't flow through the tee, so you will get more of an ambient temperature reading instead of a true coolant temperature reading. I tried this before years ago and it was way off. If you are going to add an aftermarket gauge, it's best to remove a plug in the intake somewhere (if you have one) and install it there. If you don't have one, replace the factory sensor. Even if it's only temporary, you would know what the coolant temperature is really doing. You could have an indication of a more serious problem than a bad temp gauge.
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #38
Quote from: BadTriumph;349739
, it's best to remove a plug in the intake somewhere (if you have one) and install it there. If you don't have one, replace the factory sensor.

Does a factory 87 5.0 have an extra plug, somewhere? I don't think it does. I know my 1972 Cutlass has an extra plug, but I don't think the T-bird does. I'll have to check tomorrow.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #39
Quote from: jpc647;349754
Does a factory 87 5.0 have an extra plug, somewhere? I don't think it does. I know my 1972 Cutlass has an extra plug, but I don't think the T-bird does. I'll have to check tomorrow.

like i said I'll be home all day the new starter wont stop trying to start :( 
  if you want to come by call me Just got to run to fisher for a fender wall starter solenoid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #40
Quote from: thewestie;349755
  if you want to come by call me Just got to run to fisher for a fender wall starter solenoid

Say hello to Wayne for me :)
Fox-less at the moment

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #41
Quote from: thewestie;349755

The starter, isn't it because of the jumper wire you used to connect the two points on the starter itself? It's a high torque one, right? I have a thread I made about it asking questions and such. Look here: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?30420-Need-Help-With-High-Torque-Starter&highlight=

It's been in my car like that for a week now, and it seems to have been fine. I've got some family stuff I have to get done first today, and then I can look at the car. I'll give you a call if I need help, thanks.

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #42
Quote from: BadTriumph;349739
The problem with adding a tee to the coolant sensor is that you aren't getting a true reading anymore. The water doesn't flow through the tee, so you will get more of an ambient temperature reading instead of a true coolant temperature reading. I tried this before years ago and it was way off. If you are going to add an aftermarket gauge, it's best to remove a plug in the intake somewhere (if you have one) and install it there. If you don't have one, replace the factory sensor. Even if it's only temporary, you would know what the coolant temperature is really doing. You could have an indication of a more serious problem than a bad temp gauge.

There doesn't seem to be another hole, is there some sort of a "T" that would allow both of them to be submerged?

Wacky Temperature Gauge

Reply #43
Quote from: jcassity;349499
dont kill yourself trying to tear things apart.
get that temporary temp guage installed and compare what the cluster says to the temporary guage.

I suppose you did unhook the little red wire at the temp sender and connected it to chassis ground?

if so,, did it peg out to max?

If it does then im afraid you may be needing to take a couple readings on your temp guage wires, your looking for 12ohms.

It did peg... Is this bad? I send you a pm, but, should it be 12 ohms cold, or how, or what? I know I tested this way back, but we'll see this time around.