Skip to main content
Topic: Best type of thermostat for 5.0 (Read 1872 times) previous topic - next topic

Best type of thermostat for 5.0

Well, i'm making my list (and checking it twice!) of stuff to gather up for when I take care of my leaky lower intake manifold and i'm stuck on deciding what type of thermostat to use. I've browsed around Summit Racing's site and came up with a few possibilities. I'm just curious as to  1: what temperature range should I pick up (i.e.: 160, 180, etc. etc.),  2: what composition should it be made of (i.e.: stainless, copper/brass) and 3: should it be high flow, or standard flow? Keep in mind this for a 5.0 S.O. engine in Ohio. Have at it!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Re: Best type of thermostat for 5.0

Reply #1
Nothing lower than 180 on anything computer-controlled, from what I gather.

I'm using a 192 degree thermostat on my V6, (or so AutoHole claims) with an oversized flex fan. Now that I stopped the leaks, it sits like a rock right at that temperature, even though it's warming up down here now. (82 and climbing today) No more overheating, no more running too cold. (with the 180, I never even got TO 180.. but that was during our "winter".. heh)

Couldn't tell ya about materials used or high-flow vs. normal or whatever.. just that what I have works fine.

Reply #2
192-195 O.E. spec Napa superstat $6.99 part#530090

Reply #3
DO NOT even consider buying those "fail open" auto rad thermostats.  They last a year, tops.

The genuine ford "Motorcraft" 192* t-stat, from you ford dealer is the best.

Reply #4
Like they say get the factory temp thermo. Oreilly auto parts only $5.00
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #5
Got a 182 in my HO and it runs mint even with underdrives and the a/c on.
Find the 192 to hot on  summer days.

Reply #6
So judging from the response, it's not wise to put a 180 some odd degree t-stat in an SO? Any particular reasons?

Reply #8
my stock 5.0  likes the 180 better than the 192 , gauge never moves
cant argue with success

Reply #9
Yeah, no reason why you can't use a 180. I just can't use it because I have way too much cooling power on the engine I tried the 180 on. (18" flex fan on a 3.8) Thinking of putting the flex fan on my 5.0 and putting its clutch fan on my 3.8. Then I might use 180s again. (maybe on both)

Reply #10
Their are two good reasons NOT to use a 180*

1.  You will loose a couple MPG
2.  You will be cold in winter, if you live in a northern climate.

180* do run colder, and are speculated to increase engine life, and  may add a hp or two.

Reply #11
Quote from: merccougar50

1.  You will loose a couple MPG
2.  You will be cold in winter, if you live in a northern climate.

180* do run colder, and are speculated to increase engine life, and  may add a hp or two.

I don't see that at 100% for some reason. The biggest offender is the gas mileage one. The running cold in the winter kinda happens anyway, tho i'm not very far north (in continent of north america terms). You able to elaborate on those points?

Reply #12

1. You will loose a couple MPG
2. You will be cold in winter, if you live in a northern climate.

I noticed almost no difference in MPG.
I live on Long Island.  Northern US, but not too far up.  I DID notice that my heater is not quite as hot as it was before, but it's still quite warm.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
1. You will loose a couple MPG
The biggest offender is the gas mileage one.

Since the computer adjusts the timing, fuel ratio, and many other things based on the engine temp as measured by the coolant temp sensor, if it thinks it's still in "warm-up" mode, it may be running it a little rich all the time. It depends on what the computer considers "normal operating temperature", and whether the coolant temp is there yet.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #14
Well i can say that living up here in canada and seeing some minus 20 degrees C and lower,with a 180deg stat i still get perfect heat in my car at no more than 5mins of driving and as for mpg,i didn't notice any differance.
If you run a 160deg stat(not recommended) then yes the eec will think the car is still in warmup mode but at 180 your still within the warmed up range.