Skip to main content
Topic: cougar xr-7 body side moldings (Read 1037 times) previous topic - next topic

cougar xr-7 body side moldings

for a 1986 cougar xr-7. anybody have any info for bringing back the shine on the 1/2 inch body side molding? a metal or chrome polish or a new molding,or rechrome?

Reply #1
Pretty sure thats plastic faux metal. In fact I'm almost positive it is. You'd have to get replacement I think.

Reply #2
Armor alll!!!!!!, but then again i wouldnt really know, as mine is the monochromatic, (painted)
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

xr-7 boby side moldings

Reply #3
can you change , the chrome insert moldings, without changing the wide xr-7 style body side moldings. just the chrome striping -for 1986 xr-7.before i start tampering with it.

Reply #4
It is not replaceable...the chrome area is part of the entire molding. You would either need to cover over it with chrome tape (or colored tape, whichever you prefer), paint the chrome area another color, or totally replace the molding with better pieces. A 1/2" chrome tape is available through auto body shops (3M brand recommended). That is probably your best bet.

Reply #5
Hey Eric, I tried the 1/2" it didn't really fit to well. I used 3/8 and it seem to fit better.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #6
Did it completely cover the old stuff, or was there a little bit showing through?

Reason I ask is, I usually use the 1/2" and trim it down with an X-Acto knife. I think the actual measurement is somewhere between the two, but using the larger width tape I can cut it down to where it looks visually correct.

chrome trim

Reply #7
my new front, rear bumpers prefab new moldings are  a little smaller { 3/8} to the wide factory  xr-7 body body side moldings.  to used 1/2 for alignment  is a.k. old trim off -new install strip is self stick-no glue,heat gun.any new trim tips.thanks

Reply #8
I took the old stuff off, before putting the 3/8 on, I also only did the rear bumper so it wasn't that major of a job.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #9
After posting ever thing, I measured the stuff I have and it is actually 1/2", so I guess it does fit.