Skip to main content
Topic: Rescued from imminent death. **Caution: Abused Cougar** (Dial-up warning) (Read 2069 times) previous topic - next topic

Rescued from imminent death. **Caution: Abused Cougar** (Dial-up warning)

First off, I'm new to the site and this is the first 5.0 I've owned. I'm 29 years old and have been busting my knuckles under the hood since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I broke my teeth on 1963 Buick Wildcat. Hopefully, I'll fit in to the community.

I was browsing craigslist looking for a five hundred dollar daily driver when I saw this pathetic Cougar. For some reason, unbeknown to me, I kept coming back to the ad. After meeting the kid, and seeing the car, I knew it was my duty to the Car Gods to rescue her.

Relax, pics are soon to follow. The kid told me how his grandma bought her in '88, and he got "it" as a present TWO years ago. This kid has royally thrashed this machine in that short time. I gave him $360 and I hope he is NEVER allowed to touch another car so long as he lives!

The car had no front windows on either side. Apparently, he broke one while trying to install new speakers with the window down and fastened a screw into the glass. The other side was busted out. It was cheaper to replace both doors as the sum of all things to be repaired exceeded the price for two doors from the boneyard.

Oh, yeah... The interior is all jacked up

But, at least the carpet matches the drapes!

And the driver side ler has NO tailpipe.

What I have done so far:
New rotors and pads. The old ones were warped and down to metal.
New drums and shoes. Same as the front.
New master cylinder, as the old one had no pressure to the rear.
New shocks all around.
New cap, rotor and plugs. Also to find out, the timing was 180 out, and the firing order was way out to lunch. I'm amazed she even ran.
New harmonic balancer. The old one was about to fly off into the radiator.
Tranny filter and fluid change.
New valve cover gaskets. The old ones were spraying oil like a lawn sprinkler.
3 oil changes in the first month. He never changed the filter. He only had 2 1/2 quarts in the block and only added one quart of oil each week to keep it from leaking.
New doors. The old ones had busted glass, no mirrors, bent linkages, bad window motors, bad door lock actuators, and framing hammer sized/shaped dents.
New lamps for the instrument cluster. 10 of the 26 were burnt out. (I think there are 26)
Optima battery.
Removed, cleaned and rebuilt throttle body. It had close to and 1/8" of build up.
I rewired almost the entire car so that everything works now. He fancied himself an auto electrician.
New heater core.
All new vacuum lines.
Removed A/C tubing. The pump is soon to follow, once I find a P/S pump relocation bracket.

What do you guys think? Was it worth the $360 for the car, and $600 in parts? What should my next move be?
Lead me. Follow me. Or get the F#CK outta my way!

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Reply #1
Bodywork!!!!!! lol j/k, its cool to see a cat getting rescued...usualy people grab up the t birds.... maybe a new header panel, or the tps before it starts to give you problems..... but sounds lke you know what youre doing so im gonna hang back and watch the magic!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #2
First off, welcome to the site, this is the best place to be for parts, and tech help. Second, as screwed up as that car is, its a cougar;) . It certaintly looks like it has a lot of potential though. Good job with the doors, too. Good luck with your project, man.:burnout:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #3
Almost a grand for everything isnt too bad.

It is in sad shape. My question is how did he get away with that in CA? I thought you guys had strict laws on emissions and all that. Wonder how he passed with no pipe and running the timing off so bad.

You should fit in just fine. Shouldnt have any problem finding most parts with everyone here.

Good Luck!
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #4
Looking to do any performance mods once the basics are complete?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #5
Wow,that REALLY reninds me of my Sport when I picked it at the salvage yard.That really brings back memories.Start gathering body parts and straighten it all out.

Welcome aboard !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
I'm sorry. I really am. If your ever up to meet up in the las vegas/ st george utah area let me know.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Welcome to the board!  That'll buff right out, lol.  Take a look at some of the cats here, and a bug may get in ya.  Good luck!
1987 TC

Reply #8
Technically, he should have had the car smogged before he sold it to me. But, I knew it wouldn't pass, he knew it wouldn't pass, and for $360 I couldn't complain too much. Besides, His parents are buying him a new SUV for his 22nd birthday. So yeah, they couldn't register it and decided to buy little Billy a new ride. I, on the other hand, have a guy that will do a "pre-sniff" for me and let me know what I need to do. Which shouldn't be anything because I'm getting the exhaust done next Saturday.
For the time being, I'm just getting Delta Flow Series 40 and tail pipes. I'll hold off on the headers, x-pipe, and cats until I get the engine work done. I'm trying to find the right combo of heads and cam and intake manifold. Obviously 75mm TB and MAF and CAI. Right now it's speed density, so I'll have to do some wiring.
As far as the body is concerned, I have no shame. I can drive it around looking beat up for a while as long I redo the ghetto purple/bubbled/poorly cut tint job.
I'll keep you guys up to date with progress reports.

And thanks for the warm welcome!
Lead me. Follow me. Or get the F#CK outta my way!

1988 Cougar
(the $360 beater)

Reply #9
With as much as the car was neglected I would see how the cats are before you got lers and tails.

Also not sure if you know but Mustang tails are going to come up short. They will have to be extended.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #10
Welcome to the greatest circus you'll ever see!
Glad you rescued a Fox...even if it IS just a Cat. ;)

And here I thought my shiznitty Sport was beat on...

Hey...if you want an buttstuffog cluster....verrrry soon I'll have one available, dirt cheap too. As in..you pay shipping, and it's yours.

Repin about 5-7 wires on your harness, and it'll plug, and you'll have a tach. but anyway, if you're interested, PM me.
All the bulbs work, too ;) lol

Again, welcome!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #11
Welcome aboard. Good to see that you saved a car. Nice to see that your working hard on it. I would probably get a header panel and grill with lights next.
You dont have extra doors around do yah? Us folks in massachusetts can't just go to the boneyard and get them. lol

Reply #12
Reminds me of my car when i got it. :hick:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #13
Welcome, just needs a little pounding out now. at least there's no rust
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
Wow man, just wow. That car needs ALOT of loving. Good thing you got a hold of it and came here. I think you are going to fit in just fine! Welcome to the best forum EVER.