Skip to main content
Topic: CSX railroad (Read 2895 times) previous topic - next topic

CSX railroad

Reply #15
I believe it's possible, because the diesel engine doesn't actually power the train itself.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

CSX railroad

Reply #16
Quote from: thunderjet302;274609
I should be able to figure out what they are if you have a pic;)

OK let's see how good you are...

That's 1552's steps in the far left of the picture I posted earlier... :D

CSX railroad

Reply #17
It *should* be an END hood unit (ie like a GP9) but I don't know what type. They all have pretty much the same end steps :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

CSX railroad

Reply #18
LOL, not bad... Actually I believe 1551 & 1552 are EMD 1500s... More old stuff...

Wife's father and brother both worked for the NPBL and until they were bought by NS in '87 or so, they were running EMD 1200s that were bought in 1956... The RR purchased 15(101-115)and 31 years later, all were still in use... NS sold them all and they went to various parts of the country... At one tine there was a roster listing where they were, but apparently it's no longer on the web...

Anyway my father in law said the old 1200s were still in better shape than most of the stuff NS replaced them with... NPBL had a maintenance program that stayed ahead of problems and when they were older, would totally rebuild one or two every year ...

CSX railroad

Reply #19
I'd need to see the whole locomotive to tell if it's a SW1200 or a SW1500. They look pretty much the same. They do look much different from the GP serries as the GP serries were designed to do anything from switching to road freight.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

CSX railroad

Reply #21
That's an EMD SW1500 as it has different style trucks from a SW1200. The SW1200 has earlier style AAR type trucks where as the SW1500 has trucks that resemble the "Bloomberg" style used on the GP and F series freight units. Why do I know so much about locomotives? In addition to cars I do have a thing for trains as well as WWII era aircraft. Basically I like machienes with loud internal combustion engines :hick: Plus when I was a kid my parents bought me a bunch of Lionel Trains. That helped get the train bug going....

CSX railroad

Reply #22
Thanks a bunch... Living in South Norfolk most of my life I always had a bit of a distaste for trains in general... Had to change my opinion when I married into a RR family...

In the old days you couldn't get in/out of town without getting stopped by a train... Beltline covered the west and north ends shunting cars and N&W's main line to Norfolk ran down the east side... Wasn't nuthin' for mile longers full of coal from WV to come rumbling through... Had a apartment in a old two story that backed up to N&W tracks, when those coal trains came through the whole house shook... A few times a glass or whatever actually walked across the table and fell into the floor(floors weren't exactly level)...

Here's a picture of one of the Beltline's red, purple & yellow SW1200s I found on the net... They painted #101 for the Bicentennial still looking for a picture...

http://members.pen 15s.net/turbocoupe50/beltline108.jpg

CSX railroad

Reply #23
Living in Chicago one has to learn to deal with the trains as we are the rail road capital of the US. I live near the Belt Railway lines and the yard is about 4 miles from my house. We get mile long freight trains on a daily basis in my neighborhood, sometimes multiple mile long trains a day. Plus any where you go in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs you can and will get stuck by a train. It's a miracle to drive some where on surface streets and not run into a rail road crossing. There are so many intermodal and freight yards it's crazy. You should see the ammount of rail traffic we have. Plus every major rail road in America comes to Chicago.

Every once in awhile on a summer night when the windows are open I will be awakened by the sound of a Nathan 5 Chime air horn and the rumbling of a few EMD prime movers on run 8. I expect it living two blocks from the tracks. It's a nice sound, but not so nice at 3 am;)

CSX railroad

Reply #25
yep, and 45% of all statistics are made up 74% of the time.
86 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 66 289 HI-PO, auto.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hoof beats may be faster than heartbeats, but birds are faster than ponies!