Skip to main content
Topic: any Bondo gurus here? (Read 2079 times) previous topic - next topic

any Bondo gurus here?

i cant get a few dings leveled right.

i mix the bondo and hardener to where its almost a pinkish grey color, then spread it kinda thick over the area. i let it dry for about 30min, then block sand with 120 grit paper. it always leaves a very, very shallow "dip" when i rub my hand over the spot.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #1
Don't sand with hand and paper,use a block.I let it dry for an hour (probably not necessary),but I like it thoroughly dry,then block sand,then glazing compound (when I'm happy with the bondo results).Sand it a little,check it.You can also spray a light coat of flat black on the area to look for high and low spots.Use a block,though.By the way,I don't know if anyone knew this or not,but,the Bondo brand spreaders are the color the bondo should be when mixed correctly.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #2
how big are the dings?
Got a pic?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #3
Vinnie, I never knew that. Thanks for the tip.

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #4
the dings are about the size of a quarter. i dont have any pics, and its dark outside right now.

ill try one more time, then say screw it. im not looking for anything show quality. i just want a good 20-footer job. :D
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #5
Even with a 20 footer,use a block.You can get them different sizes.When you're "hand sanding",the panel can feel very smooth,but your hand and fingers are rounded,so,that is what translates into the panel after sanding.By using a block sanding method,it keeps everything flat.Patience helps while sanding.Don't wet sand Bondo (said as a "just in case").
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #6
Make sure you grind the paint out of the dings first. Use polyester filler. it won't shrink. bondo and spot putty will keep shrinking for a couple of months after your done, and usually show the infamous mini "ass print" in the paint..
If you use a block and they come back, use a longer one then. and also use the guide coat like Vinnie said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #7
I used a polyester filler as well.I have used Bondo with good results in small areas.I wouldn't use it in a deep dent,crease,whatever.I do like glazing compound on the finished sanded Bondo to fill in any pin holes that can,and probably will, be left behind.

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #8
once you get into multiple dings and warped imperfections on a panel. You need this and a long board after you fill. I'm sure you won't need this though.. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #9
Mmmmm,good stuff......especially with a sliced banana,a little sugar,and some milk.Tasty.

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #10
what is this green stuff called that i see a lot of people use?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #11
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;259436
what is this green stuff called that i see a lot of people use?

duraglas, its bondo mixed with fiberglass.
88 Sport, custom white 140 mph gauge, 11 in brake upgrade, stock mustang headers, bassani x-pipe, cherry bomb vortec lers, HO conversion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #12
it's the waterproof stuff
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #13
i went back over all the spots by block sanding with a wooden block(instead of the rubber 3M one) and it very smooth. i sprayed some black paint over the area, and you cant even tell where i bondo'd at. :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

any Bondo gurus here?

Reply #14
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;259549
i went back over all the spots by block sanding with a wooden block(instead of the rubber 3M one) and it very smooth. i sprayed some black paint over the area, and you cant even tell where i bondo'd at. :)

Black paint.... Hmmmm.....

That blue would look awesome with black
1986 Cougar LS