Skip to main content
Topic: Display anti-Obama sign, get visit from the Secret Service! (Read 1768 times) previous topic - next topic

Display anti-Obama sign, get visit from the Secret Service!

got this from corral

http://www.newsok.com/okc-officer-pulls-man-over-for-anti-obama-sign-on-vehicle/article/3347038?custom_click=headlines_widget

An Oklahoma City police officer wrongly pulled over a man last week and confiscated an anti-President Barack Obama sign the man had on his vehicle.

Featured Gallery

Advertisp00get

The officer misinterpreted the sign as threatening, said Capt. Steve McCool, of the Oklahoma City Police Department, and took the sign, which read "Abort Obama, not the unborn."

Chip Harrison said he was driving to work when a police car followed him for several miles and then signaled for him to pull over.

''I pulled over, knowing I hadn't done anything wrong," Harrison said in a recent phone interview.

When the officer asked Harrison if he knew why he had been pulled over, Harrison said he did not.

''They said, 'It's because of the sign in your window,'" Harrison said.

''It's not meant to be a threat, it's a statement about abortion," Harrison said.

He said he disagrees with the president's position on abortion.

''I asked the officer, 'Do you know what abort means?'" Harrison said. "He said, 'Yeah, it means to kill.' I said, 'No, it means to remove or terminate.'"

Harrison said his sign was to be interpreted as saying something like: Remove Obama from office, not unborn babies from the womb.

The officers confiscated Harrison's sign and gave him a slip of paper that stated he was part of an investigation.

Harrison said he later received a call from a person who said he was a lieutenant supervisor for the Internal Investigations Department and wanted to know his location and return his sign to him.

According to Harrison, the supervisor said the Secret Service had been contacted on the matter and had told them the sign was not a threat to the president.

Harrison was asked if he would like to file a complaint. He said he was not sure but would take the paperwork, just in case.

But his run-in with the law wasn't over yet.

''The Secret Service called and said they were at my house," Harrison said.

After talking to his attorney, Harrison went home where he met the Secret Service.

''When I was on my way there, the Secret Service called me and said they weren't going to ransack my house or anything ... they just wanted to (walk through the house) and make sure I wasn't a part of any hate groups."

Harrison said he invited the Secret Service agents into the house and they were "very cordial."

''We walked through the house and my wife and 2-year-old were in the house," Harrison said.

He said they interviewed him for about 30 minutes and then left, not finding any evidence Harrison was a threat to the president.

''I'm still in contact with a lawyer right now," Harrison said. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

Harrison said he feels his First Amendment rights were violated.

McCool said the officer who pulled over Harrison misinterpreted the sign.

''We had an officer that his interpretation of the sign was different than what was meant," McCool said. "You've got an officer who had a different thought on what the word 'abort' meant."

McCool said the sign basically meant Obama should be impeached and it was not a threat.

''(The officer) shouldn't have taken the sign," McCool said. "That was (Harrison's) First Amendment right to voice his concern."

McCool said although the sign should not have been confiscated, the situation was made right in the end.

''We always try to do the right thing and in the end we believe we did the right thing by returning the sign," McCool said.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8554849#post8554849

Reply #1
1st of all I call b.s. on all of that nonsense.  Secondly, no offense but why do we need political  like this on a car forum?  This is really not very "McCool" at all.  Mr. Obama is our president wether we like him or not so either get behind him or get over it.  I think we could all stand a little togetherness right now as bleak as things are looking.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
Yep, and dragging politics into this board...it's against our rules. Tread wisely, people.

Reply #3
I dont know, I hardly see anything political. Could be any president, really, any name. I dont really see what the issue was. I've seen far worse on bumper stickers really. I can see how people would equate abort with "kill" but I mean it's a bumper sticker. I just suppose if I were a officer a possibly offensive or inciteful bumper sticker wouldn't be high on my list. I mean technically youre allowed to burn the Flag, right? First Amendment blah blah etc. And still, as the accused claimed, the definition of the word, allegedly, doesnt go hand in hand with killing/death. So theres a whooole nother aspect to debate whether or not THIS guy wants to kill or harm...anyone...at all.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
okay I stopped reading after I read Steve McCool and have to raise the B.S. Flag

Reply #5
Call BS but there is an interview from the Oklamhoman. Seems like a misunderstanding. That is all.

If you guys are saying the situation is BS then yes, but everything was resolved. Proper steps where taken and nothing went wrong.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
Seems like a misunderstanding. That is all.
Seems more like someone overstepping their boundaries.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #7
Quote from: baxo;257739
okay I stopped reading after I read Steve McCool and have to raise the B.S. Flag

I want THAT last name. :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #8
I don't see the big deal making this post worthy or even less, news worthy.
Big deal, so the cop took the sign then gave it back.. the SS has an obligation to all of us to check it out, it's there job, it's what we pay them for...

so what!
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #9
Hooray!  Another shiznitstorm thread where conservatives and liberals can sling insults at each other!!!!!11!!  Lulz!

As a police officer I have one question.

How big was this supposed sign in this unconfirmed story?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
hey shame,,
stop this  here, its only going to add to your frustration. 

do one of two things....

Join the "Chicago Tea party"
or
the "Nation of Cowards"

now to disappear again for a while.  Ive been across 2000 miles of driving in the past 96hours.  Ive been from WV to Birmingham al, leeds Al MobileAl, back to Wv, then out to south bend IN, Ft Wayne IN, Indianapolis IN and back to WV.  Too much news in my head but im motivated.  I see our kind of progress as a result of obvious and recent stupidity.  People are infact waking up.

Reply #11
Quote from: V8Demon;257795
Hooray!  Another shiznitstorm thread where conservatives and liberals can sling insults at each other!!!!!11!!  Lulz!

As a police officer I have one question.

How big was this supposed sign in this unconfirmed story?

Little sheet of poster board. I'd say 12"x18" or so. Just taped on his tailgate.

Everyone did their job. If he files a complain he is an idiot. I can see both sides. Overall though all the proper procedures (from what I can tell) see to have been followed. Officer did his job, things were corrected, end of story. He wasnt arrested or held so I see no harm done.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #12
I see our kind of progress as a result of obvious and recent stupidity

?????????
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
Lets just say that the stock market trading floor had a special guest.  As soon as GE gets thier check, Rick Santelli will be in need of a new job.

rick santelli, rant of the year < google it

Reply #14
People are infact waking up.
Lets Just Hope So.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~