Skip to main content
Topic: great ideas around the house. (Read 4002 times) previous topic - next topic

great ideas around the house.

Reply #45
Quote from: cougarcragar;253397
True, but I wonder how much energy is consumed when that timer clicks on and the heater has to run long and hard to heat the cool/cold water. If it has to do this once a day, would it not negate the purpose of using a timer for energy savings?
How much energy is consumed to maintain a certain temperature of water versus heating an entire tank every day?

Depends on the price you are paying when the water heater clicks on. :hick:  I'm on a Residential Time of Day plan which drastically reduces the cost of electric between 8pm and 8am and on weekends. Shutting the water heater off during peak hours certainly saves some money.

There's some lifestyle adjustments required with this plan but overall I'm sure it saves money.

Now of course they just removed the rate caps so I'll be seeing a 5% rate increase I can't do anything about....:mad:
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #46
well folks,
The hot water tank timer has been out for a year and a few months now in place of the German made tankless water heater.  I posted a thread on this a while back showing actual cost savings.
Without the timer, my daily useage was 6.14$ / day
With the timer my daily useage was 5.20$ / day(source power set to cut off from 2300-0800 which worked out for us)
With the tankless water heater i am now at 4.10$ / day (or was until rate scam went up again)

cost- 625$
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24
requires 2) 60A 2p single phase 208 / 240 breakers and 6awg.
As you can see, the plumbing was easy to groom in,  water in,,water out = that simple.
The wiring was just as easy, dont go skinny on this part.  I could have used wiremold on the interior but this probably is better for the 90degC wire i used anyway instead of falling into the wiretray or raceway NEC rules by putting it in said conduit.
Flow meters only turn heaters on when .5gal/hr or more is detected of hot water demand at a hot water tap.

see actual ampacity draw while unit in work while dialed in to produce 125deg water from 55deg ground temps (70deg temp rise)

Reply #47
So you spend $123.00 in a 30 day month just to heat hot water , is that correct? Holy  ! How many people are in your household ?

I'm curious because there are 5 people in my house and I have electric heat and hot water and  central air and my monthly electric bill is only between $150-$200 per month  all year .
 My hot water heater is about 10 yrs old and I was looking at tankless mainly because my daughters are getting older and taking longer showers these days , and I dont like running out of hot water .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #48
use your noggen man,,lol
my daily useage for power (whole house).

I dropped a full dollar and more a day going from the timer to the tankless,,,

my old hot water tank was a 5000w unit and I was about every other year replacing the temp sensor on either the top or the bottom.  I could never figure out what was going on, the temp reading on the breaker wasnt odd, my IR camera didnt show odd hot spots, the darn thing just got to a point where it was eating up thermal couples and sensors.

It was terrible to set it also, it seems everytime i walked by the laundry room i could hear the darn thing heating.  Hot water tanks will kick your ass on electricity if they are fugged up.

Reply #49
OK that makes more sense I thought maybe you were running an orphanage or something and had like 35 or 40 people showering a day

Of course I read your post and asked before my first cup of coffee this morning so I wasnt at peak sharpness :dunce:
Fox-less at the moment