Skip to main content
Topic: Awesome boneyard finds... (Read 1344 times) previous topic - next topic

Awesome boneyard finds...

I figured we've all seen some pretty cool stuff at the boneyard, so I started a thread for it all.

'75 Cougar at the boneyard a few miles from my apartment in Austin. It's surprisingly really good looking inside and out. Straight body, clean interior, and the motor's not bad looking either.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #1
I've found some pretty cool machines in my junkyard dives.

The best was a Subaru SVX with absolutely everything intact. It had a bad transmission, which is a common failure point on those cars. I should have grabbed the lights off of that car.

I found a box Ranger with a turbo 2.3, which was obviously swapped in. They must have blown the rear end or something.

I found a 1990 Thunderbird Supercoupe Anniversary at this really py yard. It still had its special black wheels, too. The engine and interior were totally intact.

There's a yard in Ohio that has a Chrysler Conquest or Mitsubishi Starion. I love those cars.

Finally, I know a guy who has a HUGE amount of cars on his private land. He doesn't allow anybody to go back there, but I got on good terms with him when I looked at a car he was selling (20th Anny Cat). He allows me to go back there to root around.
My best finds include a pair of clear '83 turn signals, a TC/Sport wheel without cruise control, several XR-7 badges from an '85 and '86 Cougar XR-7. He has an '87 Turbo Coupe with 30k original miles that had been wrecked in the early '90s, and he must have 20 to 30 Fox Cougars/Thunderbirds sitting on his land, plus a massive amount of Mark VIIs and Mustangs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
if only i had a fatter wallet, then i'd be c00ching up all kinds of cool
stuff like that.
that starion is a pretty fly-looking ride. i'd ride it til the wheels fell off.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #3
'Bout the only cool junkyard finds I can think of are the '85 base 5.0 T-Bird with full console and manual windows/mirrors/seats (console center plate was blank), complete with a full FMS body kit, including the funky grille and spoiler. I ended up buying the console tray out of it to replace the '84 console tray I had in my car, but left the rest.

Another one, in the same junkyard, was an '89 XR7 5-speed. The drivetrain was all there and the body was intact except the interior was removed. I don't know why the car was there to begin with... probably a HG failure or something. That car was there for years, but I imagine with the high s prices this past summer it's been turned into a Kia by now...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
I found a 75 cougar as well in my underground.
Oh yea it's mine lol.

Reply #5
Man i still love that car since the day you showed me it in person.

Reply #6
I have way too many pics from the JY's, but I'll post one....local yard.
1987 TC

Reply #7
it's all torino-ish, but still a kitty cat. frickin' sweet.

Reply #8
My best finds where the 2 20th Anniversary Cougars that I found and pillaged in two different junkyards.

Love that black 4-eyed Cougar - never seen one that looked so cool!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #10
I "saved" by cat from going to the junkyard. Does that count?

Reply #11
Yep 74-76 all looked like that,not much changed,steering wheel and choice of engines is pretty much it.
I just took all the crome  off mine and revealed her true curves.
She'll be up for sale come spring Alex!
I got some way better pics that i sent to Bax but there on my other pc unless you want to post them man.
Sorry for the hijack but when i seen the first pic it reminded me of my ride.

Reply #12
Nice Cougar at the boneyard.I'll take my camera Friday when I hit the yard.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #13
Quote from: dominator;252926
Yep 74-76 all looked like that,not much changed,steering wheel and choice of engines is pretty much it.
I just took all the crome  off mine and revealed her true curves.
She'll be up for sale come spring Alex!
I got some way better pics that i sent to Bax but there on my other pc unless you want to post them man.
Sorry for the hijack but when i seen the first pic it reminded me of my ride.

Yeah that's extremely badass-looking. Engine bay looks sick too. Now I suddenly want one LOL.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #14
Had a '74, and a '76 XR7, great cars. We stuck a 460 in the '76, very fun car!!!:burnout: :burnout:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo