Skip to main content
Topic: Welding an 8.8 (Read 3080 times) previous topic - next topic

Welding an 8.8

So I gutted out my 8.8 today and almost ready to weld my tubes.

Anyone here weld their tubes to the center section on an 8.8? How'd you do it? Wire feed or stick? What wire or rod did you use?

Sorry if this is beating a dead horse, I did do a search but I couldn't find the answer I was after.

Thanks.
Whoa, that was fun!

Welding an 8.8

Reply #1
Just get a wire brush after it,clean it up really good,and use JB Weld.It'll hold it fine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Welding an 8.8

Reply #2
It would be best if it was in the car at all the right angles,
where you want them. I mean all hooked up before you weld.
If I was doing it to mine I would use a arc welder with a 1/8" 7018 on it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Welding an 8.8

Reply #3
What are you welding?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Welding an 8.8

Reply #4
Where the tubes meat the center section. It can work for the right reason.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Welding an 8.8

Reply #5
Before all the critics speak up, I know I spelled meet wrong.
But I'm hungry.

Welding an 8.8

Reply #6
i wouldnt bother unless its going to be i higher HP drag car. otherwise, id have a shop "blueprint" it and weld the tubed secure on a jig. the tubes arent suposed to be perfectly streight. if your really serious about welding the axle tubes for whatever reason, id have some gussets made up and welded in. might as well make it worth the effort.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Welding an 8.8

Reply #7
The car will be set up for racing only. I plan on building a jig (kind of).

Kitz Kat, I too was thinking 7018 (good all around rod) but wasn't sure how the axle tubes them selves would hold up or blow right threw them.
Whoa, that was fun!

Welding an 8.8

Reply #8
It's not a good all around rod, you may be thinking of a 7014.
7018 is a bit finicky.

Welding an 8.8

Reply #9
I mig weld the tube to the center. You have to do it slow and from 1 side to the other to keep the tubes from pulling.

Here is a pic of the bracing we put on 8.8's

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Welding an 8.8

Reply #10
thats awesome....how much do you charge for that?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Welding an 8.8

Reply #11
Kitz Kat I do believe you are correct. I went to see what I had left in my stash and I'm all out. The only rod I currently have is some new stuff I haven't tried yet. It is "Super 60" by Radnor and it's 5/64" / 2mmn with a suggested operating range 35-60 amps. Seems like it would be to small for this application.

5.8fastcat, looks as if there has been some welding done to the end of the tubes. What did you do?  How badly do you think the 8.8 needs the extra bracing? Thanks for the pic too.
Whoa, that was fun!

Welding an 8.8

Reply #12
they need gussets bad top and bottom.... the zephyr geordon side-stepped the clutch in it wound it up to 3500rpm and the  thing bounced a couple times, caught the brake and twisted the tube

then it just flat out blew apart :D good times.

I'd say fab up some gussets and fin the tubes around the the center section kinda like offroaders do to beef up their axels.

or call up currie and get a 31 spline 9" for a stang :D

Welding an 8.8

Reply #13
Quote from: Kitz Kat;252241
Before all the critics speak up, I know I spelled meet wrong.
But I'm hungry.

That there is funny, I don't care who you are!

Do you have an axle alignment jig?

I'm looking at the Moser Fox body axle myself....only because I have a bunch of 9" rears.
1987 TC

Welding an 8.8

Reply #14
No I do not have an axle jig, but I have a few ideas on what to do so it wont warp.
I have two 9"s laying around. Both are big bearings but one is intended for my 65 Mustang and the other for my 64 Falcon.
Whoa, that was fun!