Skip to main content
Topic: Mystery electrical box in engine bay? (Read 2036 times) previous topic - next topic

Mystery electrical box in engine bay?

Hey, I am currently working on an engine swap and I am deciding what I want to keep in the engine bay, and I have been unable to determine what this box does. All it says on it is manufactured by standard motors, or some such.

If I recall, it has three connectors, only one is hooked up, goes into the harness through the firewall. The wires are White/Light blue stripe, and red/green stripe I believe. It also has yellow and black wires going into it from some sort of vacuum check valve? Looking thing. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Yes, I know, the engine bay is filthy, the car has 186,000 miles on it, which is why it needs the swap, and I haven't cleaned the engine bay in 60,000 miles. It is a 1983 T-bird with 3.8l V6 and a C-5 automatic. Has AC, buttstuffog gauges, etc.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #1
It's the electronic Igntion box, Duraspark, what year car is it?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
It is an 1983, but the car has an MSD box, it is carburated, and why is it still hooked up? Also, the redundant vacuum mechanism?Since the distributor has vacuum advance built-in...

Ok, well, now I feel like an idiot. I had WRONGLY ASSUMED that when the previous owner had the MSD installed that the original ignition was removed. So, any way to get rid of it?

Well, maybe it has been cirspoogevented, I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. Still, any info you have on what that little vacuum module that looks attached does would be appreciated.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #3
I think it's just bolted there, has nothing to do with ignition, maybe cruise control??
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
well that for sure is NOT a dura spark II box.    Possible part numbers could help as well?

Reply #5
Looks like an aftermarket replacement Duraspark box to me... Lord knows I replaced enough of 'em in my old '85 before I realized the coil was fvcked...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
The vacuum thing has 1 black and 1 yellow wire going from it to the module. I did not see any numbers on it, but I will dismount it from the engine bay and check the back and sides, but the wiring scheme, for the module matches the Chilton manual pretty close, maybe I'm just a little colorblind as far as the stripe on the red wire goes.. Also, this is a carburated engine, and there are no provisions for cruise anywhere else on the car.

Ok, the chilton manual shows it as 12A244 duraspark w/ 3 leads, So it looks like the black and yellow are spark retard, which keys into that vacuum module. Any ideas as to whether it actually functions with the MSD box?

Reply #7
Quote from: jrad235;251231
Any ideas as to whether it actually functions with the MSD box?

when I did my v6 to 302 swap,I removed that and had no issues.I am also running a msd box now.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #8
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;251228
Looks like an aftermarket replacement Duraspark box to me...
Yup it's a Standard...

The reason it has three leads is it is a "High Altitude" Duraspark II Module... One set of leads is power in, the next is to the distributor and third is the altitude sensor, that's roughly equal to a BAP... Should have a yellow grommet(the plastic insulator on the module where the leads exit the module)...

Reply #9
Quote from: Chooglin;251238
when I did my v6 to 302 swap,I removed that and had no issues.I am also running a msd box now.

Ok, I think I have this figured out now. When the previous owner had this installed, they did not purchase PN#8869, which connects to the magnetic pickup in the distributor and eliminates the Duraspark box.

Man, that really threw me for a loop, luckily for me, MSD provides all their manuals, diagrams, etc in one PDF file.

So, unless I am completely off track, all I need is that part, and I can ditch the Duraspark box.

BTW, Turbocoupe50, you are right on in describing the box, I don't suppose you can tell me what exactly the altitude sensor is supposed to do can you?

Reply #10
Quote from: jrad235;251334

BTW, Turbocoupe50, you are right on in describing the box, I don't suppose you can tell me what exactly the altitude sensor is supposed to do can you?

Duhhh ain't that self explanatory??? It senses altitude... LOL

Vehicles that were delivered in mountainous/high elevation areas received this module and sensor... I suppose it tells the module to retard the timing slightly to prevent spark knock at higher altitude, due to a leaner A/F mixture(remember we're talking carb vehicle here)... Never really looked into it's actual operation...

AFIK those can be replaced with the standard two connector module(blue grommet) and just toss the sensor...

Reply #11
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;251340
Duhhh ain't that self explanatory??? It senses altitude... LOL

Har Har Har. Heh, ok, well, since I live in a valley! I will just cap the vacuum block thing it goes to and toss it. Thanks for all your input everyone!

Reply #12
See, you get the help here.

Reply #13
From the 84 shop manual:
The Duraspark II ignition modules can be distinguished by two connectors/blue grommet on the standard module and three connectors/yellow grommet on the Universal Ignition Module (UIM).

Additionally the UIM can respond to another control signal from either an Ignition Barometric Pressure Switch, Ignition Vacuum Switch or the Micro Processor Control Unit (MCU) depending on the engine calibration.

In responding to this second control signal, the UIM provides additional spark timing control for certain operating conditions by turning off the ignition coil current flow at a different time than what would happen from just the distributor signal.

Reply #14
Well, I think I'll just cancel that out, and get the msd adapter, the less vacuum  I leave, the happier I'll be.