Skip to main content
Topic: '96 Cobra (Read 3099 times) previous topic - next topic

'96 Cobra

So for the past 6 months, I've put the TC on hold.  I wanted something newer, something more reliable.  I was aiming at more of a gas saver, but something sporty.  While I was driving that, I would be able to save plenty of money and also not be tempted to pour any into my DD.  But boy did my plans change.  I sold my car on Thursday.  I searched AutoTrader that night (for what reason, I couldn't tell you) for a '94-'98 Mustang, V8, Manual, within 100 miles.  There was one result.  It is pictured below.  The past three days have felt like such a dream.  But you don't want to hear about that.  You want to hear the facts.

1996 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra.
4.6L V8, 305hp, 300ft/lbs torque.
T-45 Transmission.
0-60 in 5.6.
1/4 Mile 13.7-14.0
91,000 Miles.
"Laser Red" although it's more of a peach color at this point...
Black Leather.
One of 926 made in that combination.
Mach 460 Stereo.
Super Bad-Ass.

Supposedly I am the 3rd owner, although I'll be running a Carfax soon to verify.  It was at a dealer in Cincinatti, approximately 2 hours away.  I was able to talk him down to $5,000.  There are a few things that don't make it the perfect Cobra.  Most are due to sitting in one place for apparently quite some time.

1. The paint is quite faded.  The door jams make the rest of the car look peach or pink.
2. The headlight lenses have some moisture inside.
3. There is a small dent on left front quarter.
4. The passenger side was keyed.
5. The water temp. guage is non-functional.
6. The CD player is non-functional.

Mechanically, the car is absolutely sound.  The thing that I love the most about the car is that it is completely stock, unmolested.  I even love the fact that the fender or scratch hasn't been fixed.  Not only did those things allow me to afford the car, they will allow me to fix it the correct way.  Outside, the car shows more wear than average for a '96, but not too bad at all.  The interior is fantastic.  The front seats have a few spiderwebs, but no tears, no cracks in the dash, nothing.  The rest of the interior looks brand new, minus the shift . 

Here's a list of things I've done since it came home this afternoon.

1. Replaced fog light bulbs (burnt out)
2. Installed and wired underdash water temp. guage
3. Temporarily resolved CD player issue
4. Detailed engine and exterior.
5. Removed Pony from grille.
6. Found out it is 3x worse than a TC in the snow (but I drove it all day, anyways).

For the time being, I'm planning on opening up the exhaust (a LOT)  and fabbing up a CAI.  After that, I'll be saving up for something that starts with K and ends with enne Bell.

Enjoy!

'96 Cobra

Reply #1
Few more

'96 Cobra

Reply #2
effing sweet dude. hey, if the cd player itself is the issue, i have a spare.

the headlights can be had cheepo'

they suck balls in the snow

you need new plates:hick:

oh, congrats on the 4 valve!
now go clean those IMRC plates ;o)
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

'96 Cobra

Reply #3
I'll take the CD player, send me a PM with a price.  Something is broken inside mine, it keeps trying to grab a CD so it always switches back to CD mode when I switch to radio.  That is, until I bypassed it.

Plates will be here soon.. haha!

I'll polish the IRCM plates as well! lol

'96 Cobra

Reply #4
oh, another biggie, specially with that trans is get a shifter on that thing, pro 5.0 or mgw. they are a nice shifting trans but really could use the a decent shifter.

cover shipping, that should do it.

~John~

'96 Cobra

Reply #5
Yeah that's a nice score at 5,000. :cool: A friend of mine had a 98 Cobra with a Vortech on it making 400rwhp.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

'96 Cobra

Reply #6
I'll trade ya my 95 3.8 T-bird for it. I bet you that your car is better in the snow than my T-bird is :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

'96 Cobra

Reply #7
The first thing that Cobra needs is a car cover and the second thing it needs is a Taurus/Sable to be driven in the winter in its place. Either way, cool car, congrats!!
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

'96 Cobra

Reply #8
I bet you that your car is better in the snow than my T-bird is :hick:
Haha, not a chance...

should hit it with a clay bar. it takes a long time but its worth it. by far thats my favorite factory color. (im bias i guess).

~John~

'96 Cobra

Reply #9
My Dad has one that he uses on his car.  Do you think it could waken the paint up at all?

P.S. Do you have the stock wheels for your car?

'96 Cobra

Reply #10
My Dad has one that he uses on his car. Do you think it could waken the paint up at all?
it will do miracles with the clear coat but unfortunately it wont change the faded paint undernieth. it will definetly brighten it up though.

i sold the mach 1 wheels. curently have the polished 01 cobra wheels on it. i also have a set of machined 03-04 cobra wheels. ill be looking to part with both sets one at a time to cover the cost of another set of wheels that i want.

~John~

'96 Cobra

Reply #11
Gotcha.  I was hoping you had some Bullitts lol.

'96 Cobra

Reply #12
Quote from: tc²;251180
...  I wanted something newer, something more reliable.  I was aiming at more of a gas saver, but something sporty.  While I was driving that, I would be able to save plenty of money and also not be tempted to pour any into my DD.  But boy did my plans change...

Yeah, you pretty much blew that plan. :D  My guess is you won't save much gas after the first time you hit dry pavement with it. :burnout:  I'm still jealous and I don't like the red ones that much.

'96 Cobra

Reply #13
The problem with Laser Red is that it's a tri-coat and the clearcoat is tinted.  When the tinted clear is exposed to carwashes, compounds, weather, etc it gets thinner and the color changes.  There's really no way to bring it back without a repaint.

Here's mine with 9,000 original miles.

'96 Cobra

Reply #14
WOW.  That's friggin' beautiful.