Skip to main content
Topic: Disassembling markers (Read 5478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Disassembling markers

Reply #15
They said molds wouldn't be able to pick up the detail in the stock reflector but gave me some other ideas. They had a bin full of s plastics for $1/lb and this looked like it could work so I grabbed it. $1 for the 2'x10" piece and $6 for some low-e (blocks UV light) plastic for another project and I was out the door. I don't quite like how big the shapes are but will see how it looks on the car.

and yes, its near identical to what is used on those ceiling lights. I don't think white bulbs are allowed on the side if its the only marker seen (here in Washington), not that it matters. A clear reflector looks better on a lot of cars
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #16
Hmmm.. I remember someone here saying that chrome paint (yes, I know, it doesn't look anything like actual chrome.. just threw out a can a couple months ago) made a good refresher material for the backs of our lights. I had been meaning to pick up some more since I'm polishing the taillights up on the '88. I'm also thinking about experimenting with the shiny gold paint for that. I'm wondering how that would alter things.. and maybe I might now buy a can and try to get a few more lights apart and try it out.

Shiny gold paint with a yellow bulb, behind a replacement material like that on the front corner lights.. hmmmm..

Yeah, I know it's probably not for everyone.. but I'm not compelled to get rid of all traces of color on the side lights. It just doesn't bother me like it bothers some of you.

Reply #17
Hmmm.. found I still had a small piece of it left. I think I'm going to test out an idea for making my own reflector, and not just filling that spot with some patterned material. If it looks like ass, I won't mind throwing it out. If it looks good, I'll have to buy a whole sheet.

Reply #18
I've tried like 5 different chrome paints...I was hoping I'd get an aluminum flake I could try to shine but that just turns it grey. I sprayed the inside of a spare headlight reflector with some, but it was less reflective than the...uhhh...pearlescent color left behind after the chrome's finish disintegrated.

Last night I was testing out some aluminum foil as a reflector but it started raining a bit hard so had to come inside. For some reason, I no longer had a bright spot from the headlight - it was all spread out more. Had foil covering the sides, back, and top of the enclosure, leaving the bottom the normal plastic color.

Anyways, you could try some gold-colored foil in the marker lights if you're going that route. You'll find that the reflective paints suck. I just don't know how to attach the stuff without getting a bunch of wrinkles from adhesive
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #19
Oh, it doesn't have to be great.. just better than what's there now. That isn't hard, considering my taillight reflectors almost look like they're disintegrating.

At any rate, my expectations are not high.. and even if I am disappointed, it's only a few dollars. Got another sale tonight, so I'm slowly working my way back to being able to afford the front end parts with a few dollars to spare.

EDIT: Do you have any decent clearcoat, and have you tried spraying that over the chrome-wanna-be paint? I'd be curious to see if that helped the paint hold up at all. I have a can of that 500-degree clearcoat for like intake manifolds and valve covers. Used it when I did the green front grille for the '88 and it came out pretty nice. A few months sitting out in the elements and my fiance is still telling me out of the blue that she likes the look of it. (and especially the dark green color under it) Considering some of my cheaper spray paint jobs are already fading significantly, I'd say it turned out alright.

Reply #20
yeah, I sprayed my grill with some of that chrome paint...turned out with a little shine until I clearcoated it. Then it turned into a white/light grey. Not recommended
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #21
How long did you let the chrome paint sit before you sprayed it with the clearcoat? I'm thinking about letting it dry for a few days.

Reply #22
a day I think. Its worth a shot
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #23
Well, if it comes out looking like  shine-wise but is otherwise a pretty clean painting job, I may just cover that over with gloss white or something and be done with it.

Reply #24
finally have the spare corners glued and siliconed up, about to go put them on. I don't quite like the look in the dark as with the stock reflectors but it looks great during the day. Gonna test if the material actually reflects well or not - got my flashlight with me :p

Also plugged the drain hole with silicone since its done more harm that good for as long as I remember (every morning its filled with moisture). If water somehow gets in, I can just pop the silicone out
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #25

and no, those aren't blue bulbs. No idea why the headlight appears blue

edit:
and yeah, thats what the grill looked like after clearcoat. Couldn't find a matching body color paint and weather was starting to cool down (fall) so I had to spray something...and the chrome paint turned out horrible after the clear
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #26
don't think white bulbs are allowed on the side if its the only marker seen (here in Washington)
Up here they're not...

Reflective devices

(3) Only amber reflectors may be mounted on the front or side of a vehicle.

(4) Only red reflectors may be mounted on the rear of a vehicle or on the side of the vehicle at or toward the rear of the vehicle.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #27
That looks alright man,i think i might have to take mine apart again and install some of that stuff.

Reply #28
Quote from: MasterBlaster
Up here they're not...

Reflective devices

(3) Only amber reflectors may be mounted on the front or side of a vehicle.

(4) Only red reflectors may be mounted on the rear of a vehicle or on the side of the vehicle at or toward the rear of the vehicle.

As far as I can tell here, only rear red reflectors are required. It doesn't state anything about side/front reflectors. Just that amber marker lights are required
1988 Thunderbird Sport