Skip to main content
Topic: Disassembling markers (Read 5477 times) previous topic - next topic

Disassembling markers

How do you guys take apart your marker lights? It seems the only way is to dremel the things apart but I'm curious if there's a better way. Any ideas?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Re: Disassembling markers

Reply #1
smll eyeglass screwdriver and a small screw hammer.
Find the seam where they are glued from the factory and slowly chip your way around untill the lens can be removed.
I've done 2 sets this way.

Reply #2
hmm...it worked although two small pieces from the corners of the orange reflector broke off with the outer lens. Now if I can only polish the lens up enough to minimize haze when viewed at an angle.

Thanks for the tip
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #3
thats such a pain in the nutz
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Np

Reply #5
Its a pain getting out every little scratch left by 220grit sandpaper...even when using 320 up to 1000 grit. Looks much better though. I tried taking angled pictures to compare the "haze" but the reflectors just cause my camera to take a dark picture. Basically there's no haze from an angle now, just a nice clear reflection :D

I'm too picky about the little details :wtf:

1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #6
Came out pretty nice,but the orange reflectors gotta go man.

Reply #7
I don't like the look of the missing reflectors but haven't found some white/clear reflectors that I can cut that'll work...yet
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #8
Looks like the only way to get some reflectors big enough is to buy some acrylic and cut into it myself. If so, I'd just be lazy and make hundreds of circular cuts/digs, in diagonal lines, in the plastic. I should go see which bits I have for the dremel
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
I wonder...exactly how hard is it to cast plastic? I've been reading up on it and it doesn't seem too hard once you get a good mold. There's a TAP plastics locally and they sell everything needed to create the mold and cast plastic. Neither of my orange reflectors are perfect though...the corners are busted off
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #10
Yea i'd like to find some kind of reflector as well but absolutley hated the orange in there.
I mean seriously what else on your car is orange?It's just out of place.
I've got super white's in mine and when there off look blue but on look whitish in color.

Reply #11
With how much I'm currently making, I don't really want to buy some materials to make my own right now...but I bet it'd turn out well. Air bubbles wouldn't really matter in a reflector. Initial cost of supplies would be around $70 from TAP. It may be possible to get the to cast it for a reasonable price also since they do custom jobs
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
How's this?

1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #13
That's mint man!
Did you use one of those ceiling light covers?
What are they worth?
Now just put a nice superwhite bulb in there and it'll be awsome.

Reply #14
, if it's that ceiling light cover material, I just threw some of that out.. but it was that stuff meant to look like fractured ice or whatever, not an even pattern like yours.

If I recall, it wasn't too expensive. I know it was cheap enough that I didn't feel bad hacking it up for some project a few years back.