Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0L Heater core hookup (w/ Auto climate) (Read 616 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0L Heater core hookup (w/ Auto climate)

Mine was bypassed previously, being in Texas and all, but now in Iowa, I have replaced it and need to hook it up.

I have autoclimate control and it looks like there is a solenoid or sensor inline with the heater hoses coming from the engine.

My question: what is it and which side should it be on when the heater core is hooked up?  The small OD pipe or the larger OD pipe?

Thanks

Cold Jeff

Reply #1
Quote from: xjeffs;240429
Mine was bypassed previously, being in Texas and all, but now in Iowa, I have replaced it and need to hook it up.

I have autoclimate control and it looks like there is a solenoid or sensor inline with the heater hoses coming from the engine.

My question: what is it and which side should it be on when the heater core is hooked up?  The small OD pipe or the larger OD pipe?

Thanks

Cold Jeff

It's called the ATC thermal blower lockout switch. It goes in the inlet hose to the heater core. I don't know offhand which size that is.

It does two things with the ATC function selector switch in the Floor position.
Keeps the blower motor off until it warms up. This is the two wire connector.
Keeps the recirc air/outside air door in the recirc air position until it  warms up. This is the two vacuum hoses.

Reply #2
I *think* it's on the inlet hose. It's been awhile since I changed the hoses so I'd have to go uncover the car and look.

BTW you're not going to drive that XR7 in the snow right?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Probably really doesn't make much difference... If you put it on the outlet side, air temp should be a little warmer when it activates... If the system is in manual it has no function anyway, which based on my experience is where you'll likely keep it set... On the ones I owned, the EATC activated far too quickly in really cold weather to be considered acceptable...

This is why my "keepers" have the manual system...

Reply #4
Good info guys.  Thanks