Skip to main content
Topic: Help on Sub Woofer Mod (Read 1665 times) previous topic - next topic

Help on Sub Woofer Mod

I saw here on this forum some time back that someone had installed their subwoofer into the spare tire well.  Is that thread still around? or does someone know how to do this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1987 Turbo Coupe
LenTech Strip Terminator Valve Body AOD, 302 Stroker (cid 347) 10:1 Compresion
Ford Racing Cast 3.40 Crank Balanced, Pioneer Forged 5.4 Rods, Mahle Flat Top Pistons 4.40, Edelbrock Performer RPM Alluminum Heads
Ford Racing 220 Duration 500 Lift Cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold , Edelbrock 800 cfm Performer Carb
Flowtech Headers, KYB Adjustable Shocks, Dyna Max Exhaust
355 Posi Rearend

Help on Sub Woofer Mod

Reply #1
check out http://www.coolcats.net/eric/86convertible/1996_2000.html

down a ways is a picture with this ecplination. There used to be a write up on it but I cant seem to find it.

Out back I built a permanent subwoofer box into the trunk well. This helped me save usable space in the trunk while still having bump. I also moved the battery to the back to help with weight distribution. This was a cool idea at the time....for me, though, it proved impractical.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Help on Sub Woofer Mod

Reply #2
Here's a setup I did in a Honda Civic in 2000(not my car) I raised the floor about 4 inches to get the required enclosure space for the speakers (15" JL audio) I used about 3-4 layers of fiberglass matt to make the spare tire enclosure sturdy-so it wouldn't vibrate. It's not a bird but you get the idea. The space in the bird is very good to work with-I believe you can get it flush with the surrounding floor.

Help on Sub Woofer Mod

Reply #3
If you really want it in the spare tire location, you can make a fiberglass enclosure to fit that space. Try Mp3car.com or the12volt.com. Let us know how it goes