Skip to main content
Topic: How am i looking so far? (Read 3530 times) previous topic - next topic

How am i looking so far?

I dug into the intake to replace the gaskets, And figured~While i'm this far into it, I might as well change/check the headgaskets as well. :hick:

I only have the drivers side apart right now.
Is it just me, or does this head gasket look original?

How does everything look under here? Other then its a little black...

This one had some vertical sing/rust spots? along the bottom?:

Any visible problems i should look into?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

How am i looking so far?

Reply #1
The intake manifold gaskets and maybe the cfi spacer seem to be the only gaskets ever replaced... and in the process of changing the intake manifold gaskets, they managed to NOT tighten down the bolts properly on the entire intake. (some were finger tight!!!)

Under the manifold (Best looking gaskets i've seen on the car so far):

Gasket Removed:

Under Drivers Valve Cover:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~

How am i looking so far?

Reply #2
Don't look so bad.At least you got harder side off,not much room with the ex.there.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

How am i looking so far?

Reply #3
did those motors come with a notch on 2 sides of the piston? otherwise, id say those have been changed out.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

How am i looking so far?

Reply #4
When pulling off heads, use a shop vac and suck out as much coolant as possible. Coolant + engine oil = replacing bearings. Just FYI.
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

How am i looking so far?

Reply #5
ok, ill do that with the shop vac on the next one.
i tried to my best to not let any coolant where it shouldn't go~im going to be doing a full oil and coolant change before startup after everything is back together also.

So no worries about the rust traces on the middle cylinder? or the black coating?

And it may sound odd... but should i keep the original head gasket on? it seems to have formed to and become one with the engine, and im wondering if this is a causing a better seal than a new a gasket may give. (and also why it hasnt blown a gasket yet).
As you can see in the pics, there is no gasket material seperating the cylinders like there is on a new gasket~this is actually flush with the metal of the block now. isnt this where the head gaskets always blow?
Far fetched, but had to ask.

Anything else i should do while im under here? im cleaning up the grime a bit and checking everything.

How am i looking so far?

Reply #6
um, ALWAYS replace the head gaskets if you have the heads off. use your fingernail to see if it will catch on the top of the cylinders. if it does, then the motor will most likely need to be rebuilt.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

How am i looking so far?

Reply #7
ok, will do.
And i did the fingernail se at the tops and the vertical traces and my fingernail glided across just fine.
There was a slight notice of very very texture difference (like if you se you fingernail across chrome versus something steel, if that makes sense) but my nail slid just fine.

How am i looking so far?

Reply #8
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;238020
um, ALWAYS replace the head gaskets if you have the heads off. use your fingernail to see if it will catch on the top of the cylinders. if it does, then the motor will most likely need to be rebuilt.

thats debateable,, but if the ridge is present, the only option to make the ridge go away is block work.

Is it nessasary to judge a motor by the ridge alone,, i dont think so.  Ring end gap,  yes but even on the stock rings, .040 + end gap on the compression rings isnt uncommon.

Yes,the pistons are stock,, i like them.

How am i looking so far?

Reply #9
What should i use to clean up inside the engine a bit?
I started cleaning with some WD-40 (Wiping everything up), But i was really unsure so i stopped.

How am i looking so far?

Reply #10
2+2 carb cleaner and some TB cleaner for the stuff that 2+2 will just destroy. and a ser for the gaskets. good luck man. I remember tearing the heads off a 3.8 on that side fighting the manifold off the whole time.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

How am i looking so far?

Reply #11
What's the current status?Input asap !!!
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

How am i looking so far?

Reply #12
Dude,where you seriously thinking about reusing your old head gaskets????????????????????????
If so you should call a tow truck now and tow it too your nearest shop to get the gaskets replaced and everything cleaned,torqued and put back together.
Head gaskets are not something for someone too touch who has no knowledge of what's involved in doing them correctly.
You are going to cause serious engine damage the route your going and should stop right now and start a thread on what do i need to do to install head gaskets correctly.
Why are you using wd-40 as a cleaner,where are your sanding blocks/sers and gasket removal spray??????
Did you buy new head bolts????????????????
You can't reuse the old ones as they are one time use.
You need to read up ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How am i looking so far?

Reply #13
Chris, You should write up a "how to" on that very subject.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

How am i looking so far?

Reply #14
Should but it would be in vain,my last writeup on the 2.3-5.0L(most complete i've ever seen) swap didn't get stickied so.......