Skip to main content
Topic: Sing? (Read 1650 times) previous topic - next topic

Sing?

So now that I have my truck and I'm poor as ever I think I'm going to start making s runs. My problem is I don't know what all the conditions are.

I know Fridges need their compressors removed, but thats it. My Grams just got a new stove so I'm taking that down Friday along with an old bike, 2 Snowflakes, stock exhaust manifolds, 6 cats, I think Ill take the SO intake I have too. Ill think of more stuff or might find some stuff close to me people want gone.

What will they take and wont they take?
1986 Cougar LS

Sing?

Reply #1
im pretty much sure they'll take anything but i think youre right on it on things having to be removed.  basically think about all the different metals in the item.  like you said the compressor has to be removed from a fridge b/c they're 2 different types of s.  so if theres iron with steel, they need to be seporated i would think.  im not an expert but thats something i'd think you'd need to consider.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Sing?

Reply #2
not just that but you need to have that allum clean around here one little extra thing and THAT is Dirty and half the value of clean. So call up the place you  are gonna be going and ask them how the do it so you have piece of mind! If i had the means I would take those snowflakes off your hands!
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Sing?

Reply #3
Quote from: ipsd;237747
not just that but you need to have that allum clean around here one little extra thing and THAT is Dirty and half the value of clean. So call up the place you  are gonna be going and ask them how the do it so you have piece of mind! If i had the means I would take those snowflakes off your hands!

LOL I know you would! We tried to work something out before but really they need more work than they are worth. A guy that lives by me have a nicer set than these anyways.  Ill clean the stuff up some.
1986 Cougar LS

Sing?

Reply #4
A friend of mine is into sping, and he makes a good dollar at it. The important thing with sping is to separate all metals. Steel/tin should be separated from cast iron. Aluminum should be free of any steel or iron (such as valve seats & guides in an aluminum head, or cylinder liners in a block). A s yard will devalue your ENTIRE load if they find any mixed metal in it, and the devaluing can be severe (say, 70 cents/pound for clean aluminum vs 20 cents/pound for "dirty" aluminum. "Dirty" means it contains different metals, not that it's got mud on it).

This friend of mine is very thorough when he separates his metals. He takes old alternators and motors apart, right down to unwinding the copper from the rotor/stator/armature. He smashes transmissions and engines apart with a sledge hammer to get any traces of steel or iron out of the aluminum. When he ss a car he cuts it apart into several pieces and removes and separates all of the metals (aluminum, copper, steel [body], iron [rotors, blocks, cranks, etc). It helps that he's got torches and a front end loader (for crushing car bodies and moving them around).

It's a LOT of work. He is at it every day from dawn to dusk, 7 days a week. He drives the roads on garbage days in his old Saturn towing a trailer and throws every s of metal he finds, from a single brake rotor to a refrigerator, on the trailer. If he finds an old car in the woods he takes the whole thing out, piece by piece. I've given him a bunch of s metal (including the shell of my old parts TC and an old Econoline 350 van) because I can't be bothered to do all the work and I don't want to mess my yard up. It's actually nice to know a guy like this, because I never have to worry about getting rid of stuff. If it's got a bit of metal in it, he'll take it. He's made thousands upon thousands of dollars doing it, though.

What amazes me is how cheap he is, even though he makes thousands of dollars. He has an F-350 box truck that he can haul s with, but he won't. Fuel costs too much, so he loads everything onto a trailer and tows it behind his old Saturn. He also fills the interior of the Saturn (he's removed the passenger seat). A Saturn is rated to tow 1000 pounds, and he regularly tows a ton of s (plus the 800 pounds of trailer) behind it. He lives on an acre of land across from my cottage, in an old construction trailer. He has no electricity, relying on a bunch of s batteries that he charges by connecting the Saturn to them and running it during the day. When he needs a big boost of electricity (to run a welder, for example) he has an old diesel generator. He wears rags for clothes, buys all of his food in the 50% off bin, and basically doesn't spend any money without a fight.

...But by God, he's a survivor. If there's ever a holocaust, I'll be standing next to him, because if anyone's gonna survive it he will.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Sing?

Reply #5
i really dont think you understand how profitable a junk collection can be.

as a side note, learn your grades of copper as well.

1,2 or 3.
It is very hard to qualify for number 1 copper but if all your doing is sipping a cold one and separting materials, it should be easy enough.

I cant find anyone around here in 1 year to haul  my s and it needs done bad.  My son is considering melting the copper down into bars:rollin:  with the propane smelter.  I told him if he gets it to work out right, that stuff will probably put him through college if things keep going the way they are.

My buddy and I tore down a moble home and the sidiing had marks where the screws had corrosion tranfered to the aluminum where the bolt heads were.  For this reason alone, the recycle place lowered the grade of aluminum.  Sheet alumnum brings a good buck to but to get cheated on it sux assberries.

Sing?

Reply #6
Another type of sping you may not know about helped me through hard times in between jobs.

Antique lumber.

Find a building, house or barn that needs tore down.
learn your lumber
If it has circle marks, that will yield a heavy price per board foot up in the north east and (if your connections are right) , in germany. 

easy to find wood and highly desirable is Red Oak.

The highest paid antique lumber is Wormy Chesnut (light as a feather and looks like the color of chocolate or coffee with a little creamer when you skin back some meat.

Antique lumber companies usually need lumber that """can be plained to 3/4''"" if used for flooring.  For furnature ect, leaving the circle blade saw mill marks is what they are after.

Ive tore down many a barn and made 12bux an hour under the table doing so.,, i just hate de-nailing.

Once you find a site,, find a buyer for the lumber.

Now,, the sale................ which can go one of two ways. 

Ask the owner if they would like it tore down and if so, what would they pay to do so as well as what your expected to do.
OR.........the owner is smart and knows the value of the lumber which you hope they dont.  If they do know the value, do the math and see if you can make a profit worth your time.

In the first option, you make money doing the teardown, and money selling the lumber.

as an example of what we are talking about.........

a single 1'' x 12''x 10' read oak board might bring as much as 1.50 a board foot (in your pocket, not third party ect).
a single 1''x12''x10' wormy chestnut would bring as much as 10bux a board foot (in your pocket).

I giggled knowing the past 15 seconds it took to get that 12' long 18'' wide board down was big money,,, awasome business to get into but i was only getting paid hourly.

Sing?

Reply #7
So clean is the key. Good to know. I have that stove to break down. Any tips?

I have heard of doing the lumber, not too many places close to me that still have old buildings like that though.

Carm your neighbor sounds awsome.... and a little scary too but like you said he could survive alot.
1986 Cougar LS

Sing?

Reply #8
Quote from: DVP;237813
So clean is the key. Good to know. I have that stove to break down. Any tips?

I have heard of doing the lumber, not too many places close to me that still have old buildings like that though.

Carm your neighbor sounds awsome.... and a little scary too but like you said he could survive alot.

wel i'd think with the stove, theres ganna be steel sheets (for the main body) or maybe aluminum like some refrigerators.  i doubt it.  just get your socket and wrench set, take it completely apart and sort the metals.  to be honest it'd be easier to take a lot of things apart and sort the metals, let it acspoogeulate so you get a good haul when you leave.  i took 2 crushed bags of cans and got 10.55.  it was 55 a lb by the time i got there, the idea i got to going was b/c it WAS 69c a lb.  oh well paid for gas on the way back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Sing?

Reply #9
Ok so I have a stove, Freezer, and pending a pick up of a washer and dryer. What do I need to NOT take to the yard. As in what will they not take out of them. The compressor is all i know of so far.
1986 Cougar LS

Sing?

Reply #10
pull the electric motors, you'll get more for those.  If you're feeling real motivated, cut them open and pull the copper out.  At the s yard I worked at, there we're two grades of copper: 1 and 2.  For number one copper, if it's pipes, they need to be free of any paint or solder and can't be too corroded.  If it's wires, they need to be larger than the diameter of pencil lead.  Cleanliness of the wire makes no difference so you can burn off the insulation in a bucket of gas/diesel.

Like others said, sort all the metals.  There's 6 basic grades of aluminum: S, clip, painted, cast, extruded and breakage (dirty).  If you bring in radiators, make sure there's no plasic or steel on them.  For the wheels, make sure there's no weights on them and the valve stems are gone.
Batteries are also worth money.

S is way down right now, so if you find a big stash, sit on it.

Sing?

Reply #11
Who needs trucks when theres festivas?

93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Sing?

Reply #12
Quote from: bhazard;239144
Who needs trucks when theres festivas?

LOL i was sitting behind one a few days ago and I thought about yours and was like I could s in that thing and pull off some MPGs but i cant find one in my range.
1986 Cougar LS

Sing?

Reply #13
Quote from: stuntmannick;239133
S is way down right now, so if you find a big stash, sit on it.

Its way down here also
I took about 300 lbs of clean aluminum thursday probly should had sat on it a couple more weeks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Sing?

Reply #14
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;239189
Its way down here also
I took about 300 lbs of clean aluminum thursday probly should had sat on it a couple more weeks

CLEAN... I got screwed on that. I carried in my intake in one piece with one bolt in and they weighed it as breakage because of the bottom but the top was clean I just didnt get the chance to take the one bolt out. Well the truck is down so I dont know what is going to happen with this washer and dryer. Ill be breaking down the freezer and stove Friday
1986 Cougar LS