Skip to main content
Topic: New guy (Read 2310 times) previous topic - next topic

New guy

Hey boys and girls.  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Dave and I am buying an 87 Cuogar Anny tomorrow afternoon.  We realized my wife's car is worth more than the loan payoff and it looks great so we sold it for a tidy lil profit.  I don't drive everyday since I live less than a mile from work so having a car payment is dumb. 

I'm paying cash for it and it's going to be something inbetween a toy and a daily driver.  I'm really only planning to go for an HO conversion and maybe some stereo stuff.  I'm also bummed though because one of the previous owners took out the anniversary seats in favor of red cloth(yuck!) so I'll probably try to hunt down some SN95 seats.

My main hobby is motorcycles which I used to roadrace, hence the name, and this is not my first experience with the 5.0 I had a 91 GT in Highschool.  I aven't been this excited to buy a vehicle in years. :rollin:

New guy

Reply #1
Welcome aboard.
Now you know we're gonna need some pics, right. LOL

Where did you find a 87 Cougar that didn't look like swiss cheese in MN.?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

New guy

Reply #2
Welcome aboard!!

hope ya brung us cookies and milk lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

New guy

Reply #3
Dave, (Welcome to the board) and let your joys of owning a Fox-body begin. LOL :poke:

New guy

Reply #4
Quote from: daminc;236267

Where did you find a 87 Cougar that didn't look like swiss cheese in MN.?

Thanks everyone, this group looks like fun.

Pics will come tomorrow or Wednesday.

Believe me the lack of rust was shocking.  The entire history of this car is Wisconsin and Minnseota owners but since it only has 110k on the clock I'm guessing maybe it was stored or the photo taking was strategic in avoiding the gigantic rust holes.  We'll see tomorrow. 

I know these cars can be utter money drains but truthfully, I ride a Ducati motorcycle, this will be cheaper.

I'll throw down some cookies and milk anytime someone cruises through red wing.

New guy

Reply #5
Sweet! Cant wait to see it. I love mine I really like the shade of red. It's not a cop-magnet and at night its more towards burgundy/purple-ish but in the sun it really is pretty red, and well....pretty. lol
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

New guy

Reply #6
Quote from: ZondaC12;236279
Sweet! Cant wait to see it. I love mine I really like the shade of red. It's not a cop-magnet and at night its more towards burgundy/purple-ish but in the sun it really is pretty red, and well....pretty. lol

I think you need to get more sleep at night. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

New guy

Reply #7
Yeah it looks like a nice color I just hope the whole interior didn't get changed and it was just the seats.  I might keep the stock seats and have custom interior done to match the stock stuff.  If you still have the stock anniversary seats I'd love to see some good pictures. 

I'm also looking at fabbing a center console with wood and fiberglass but I don't think I'll switch to a floor shifter necessarily. 

As far as a cop magnet goes, well, I don't get stopepd much more since I know the local cops.  I'm one of them!  Don't worry I'm not the cop that takes himself to seriously, even sportbike riders like me.

A little about me, in pictures.  I like my dogs:

I'm a modifier, when I bought this bike it was dark blue:

Then before I sold it I took the ignition from the tank to the side of the motor, and smoothed out the tank, and wrapped the pipes.  I did everything except the welds on this one.

And of course my gorgeous wife Lana.

My favorite picture that Lana has taken of me:

New guy

Reply #8
I often wondered why they didn't put center consoles in the anniversary models, They should have loaded that car to the max in my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

New guy

Reply #9
X2

Welcome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New guy

Reply #10
Welcome. You better be careful with the wife pics around here... cant be too careful 'round these guys. LOL.
1986 Cougar LS

New guy

Reply #11
Welcome and good luck with the new Cougar.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

New guy

Reply #12
Quote from: cougar86_89;236327
Welcome. You better be careful with the wife pics around here... cant be too careful 'round these guys. LOL.

Yes the hounds oughta be swingin' by any minute now!!!:rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

New guy

Reply #13
Quote from: ZondaC12;236349
Yes the hounds oughta be swingin' by any minute now!!!:rollin:

I was refering to you!
1986 Cougar LS

New guy

Reply #14
Welcome Dave u will really love owning a fox body Cougar I love my TC.