Skip to main content
Topic: WTB,.....wierd part (Read 873 times) previous topic - next topic

WTB,.....wierd part

I have an 88 T-bird.  If they were available, I need this part.

On the underside of the trunk Lid, there appears to be some sort of carpeted panel, the same color as the rest of the carpeting/panels in the trunk.  This looks to cover the area from the actual trunk latch back.

Does anybody have one?
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #1
I've NEVER seen one on a T-Bird.I want one.....or else I'll make my own.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #2
Mine had all of it's original parts when I got it and it doesn't have that piece (or any remains of it stuck to the trunk lid).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #3
My red car had it......This one don't
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #4
First time I've heard of this part
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #5
I've seen one, but it was all torn up. Check out the car in the leads section with 7,000 miles. It has one.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #6
tada

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-Cougar-1985-Mercury-XR7-Cougar-7-300-Orig-Miles-Turbo-5-Speed_W0QQitemZ150289653266QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150289653266&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A10|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I'll bet that alot of cars had them from the factory, but it seems like a pretty un-necessary part that would just get in the way after it started hanging off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #7
I want one too, but I've not been able to find one.  I remember them being on the Fila cars when they were new.

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #8
To the best of my knowledge, they were never installed on Turbo Coupes. We've owned probably close to 20 of them over the years. A couple have had every possible option, leather, sunroof, electronic heat/ac, etc, but we have never had one with a panel on the trunk lid. Ignore my post if you're just looking for something cool to add to your car as I do things like that too....
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #9
I've never seen this part on an 87 88.  I've seen it on several 85 and 86 cars.
One 88

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #10
Quote from: CougarSE;235012
I've never seen this part on an 87 88. I've seen it on several 85 and 86 cars.

Good point. All of our cars have been 87/88 TCs. We have never had a 4-eye.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #11
Quote from: CougarSE;235012
I've never seen this part on an 87 88.  I've seen it on several 85 and 86 cars.

I've never seen one on even those years. Must be something that easily fell off or was damaged and removed often :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #12
My '86 has one! (Not that this is actually helping you find one!)

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #13
AFAIK, 1986 was the last year for them on Turbo Coupes. Remember though a Cougar deck lid is different so they will not interchange. ;)

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

WTB,.....wierd part

Reply #14
I've never seen one on an 83-84 car.  I've seen them on 85-86 XR-7's, TC's and Elans.
One 88