Skip to main content
Topic: My new 88 Turbo Coupe! (Read 5305 times) previous topic - next topic

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Picked up an 88 Turbo Coupe with a perfect interior and near perfect exterior that runs for $400 :flip:

There is one problem, sometimes it runs great and other times it sputters violently and randomly. Also the boost gauge only registers 5 PSI at full boost. Seems like it's boosting better but I dunno what's going on. Replaced the plugs, wires and coil and it still does it. I am guessing it's a vacuum leak somewhere???

The T-5 shifts like a champ and the clutch is wonderful! I will be putting a short throw shifter on after I find out the problem with the sputtering.

Any suggestions? (good pics coming tomorrow.)

here are some py cell phone pics

Specs

122k Miles
Custom dual exhaust with no cats (from last owner?)
buttstuffog Cluster (soon to be full digi)
T-5
Broken Heater Core
No power brakes at the moment :hick:
Some kind of sputtering issue. Sometimes runs fine, sometimes does not.
Only registering 5 PSI of boost and I think that is all it's boosting.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #1
Nice ride, especially for the price. Sounds like a few minor repairs and you'll have one sweet ride.

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #2
Very nice.Good find.I need to find a TC like that for parts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #3
Vinnie,

You part out a TC that is that nice, and we'll have issues:mad: . LOL.
Nice find.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #4
A)  You NEEEEEEED to get us better pics
B)  You NEEEEEEED to bring it down to NC
C)  Sweet ride!

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #5
nice TC, get better pics....

Only putting out 5 psi?  thats not good...  My TC has a sputtering problem sometimes too, but only when I am at 17psi...  I backed it off to 14 for now...

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #6
check your I/C hoses and all vacuum lines.  my tc is having the same issues, can you hear escaping air under boost? also look through the tech articles on NATO http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/techarticles.html

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #7
Quote from: Carl;232488

You don't mean the digi gauges from a base/lx Tbird, do you?
If so, WTF for? lol ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #8
Yeah why the heck would you put in digi instead of keeping the buttstuffog?

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #10
Quote from: Carl;232488
Picked up an 88 Turbo Coupe with a perfect interior and near perfect exterior that runs for $400 :flip:

There is one problem, sometimes it runs great and other times it sputters violently and randomly. Also the boost gauge only registers 5 PSI at full boost. Seems like it's boosting better but I dunno what's going on. Replaced the plugs, wires and coil and it still does it. I am guessing it's a vacuum leak somewhere???

The T-5 shifts like a champ and the clutch is wonderful! I will be putting a short throw shifter on after I find out the problem with the sputtering.

Any suggestions? (good pics coming tomorrow.)

here are some py cell phone pics

Specs

122k Miles
Custom dual exhaust with no cats (from last owner?)
T-5
Broken Heater Core
No power brakes at the moment :hick:
Some kind of sputtering issue. Sometimes runs fine, sometimes does not.
Only registering 5 PSI of boost and I think that is all it's boosting.

Nice car :D

Oh and digi dash FTW!:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #11
As for your boost problem, reach under the turbo, and grab the wastegate arm. See if you can push the rod towards the rear of the car. If it moves with only a little bit of resistance, then you need a wastegate. They should be very difficult to open one handed. If it opens easily, let me know, I may have a spare.

Also, only use Motorcraft wires if you can.

Looks to be a very nice car.
It's Gumby's fault.

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #12
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;232528
You don't mean the digi gauges from a base/lx Tbird, do you?
If so, WTF for? lol ;)

Yes I do.

2 Reasons

#1 the buttstuffog is only to 85 MPH
#2 the full digi is one of those things that makes me instantly think of our cars.

I may go with an aftermarket buttstuffog setup but I have yet to look into it further
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #13
You can easily make an buttstuffog 140 speed for it :D .  That's > digi dash.  And you neeeeeed to get that down here to NC so we can go cruisin.

My new 88 Turbo Coupe!

Reply #14
Will do! Now that I have a car that gets great gas mileage! Still on a full tank after going 67 miles. Even with it running like .
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)